FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080 HD Material to DVD-R

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sofi Marshall
1080 HD Material to DVD-R
on Nov 24, 2009 at 7:50:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I know there is a ton of information out there about putting HD content onto SD DVD-r's, but after spending hours reading through different threads and tutorials, I am still very confused.

I have a short film (10 minutes) that was shot on 35mm and is now in 1080p at 24fsp. I want to create a DVD in DVD Studio Pro and burn to regular DVD-r's. I also want to make sure I preserve the 16:9 aspect ratio so that if the DVD is played on a TV capable of 1080 resolution, it will fill the screen at it's best quality. At the same time, I want to make sure that the DVD is playable on 4:3 TVs as well. What is the best way to go about this?

So far, I've compressed the film with Compressor to m2v format and imported that into DVD Studio Pro. I'm confused as to whether the DVD standard in the project settings should be set to SD DVD, since I'm not using an HD DVD or Blu-ray, or HD DVD, since my content is HD.

Are there any steps/settings that I need to be aware of to make sure I get the best quality, while having a DVD that is compatible with as many players/TVs as possible?

Thanks,

Sofi

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: 1080 HD Material to DVD-R
on Nov 24, 2009 at 8:35:23 pm

Yeah, this is asked so many times and it is pretty clearly answer as well (sorry if that sounds harsh)

HD DVD will only play back in the faster quad G5 or Intel macs, no PC or set top players other than the HD DVD players. So you don't want them.

Encode video as 16:9 aspect ratio and 24p
Since you have such a short video use CBR method of encoding with 7.5 Mbps and use ac3 audio

In DVDSP your video should be 16:9 letterboxed and it will fill a 16:9 TV (if TV and DVD player are setup correctly) and it will letterbox on 4:3 TVs (if TV and DVD player are setup correctly)

Return to posts index

Sofi Marshall
on Nov 24, 2009 at 8:59:23 pm

Thanks for clearing that up! I know there are a lot of answers out there, but there is also a lot of conflicting information. For example, I had initially been following this tutorial http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hd_dvds_on_sd_dvds_young.html, which does say to set the preferences to HD DVD. However, that method hasn't really been working for me, so I'm giving your suggestions a try now.

Return to posts index

Roman Melekh
on Nov 24, 2009 at 11:01:41 pm

The requested URL /fcp_homepage/hd_dvds_on_sd_dvds_young.html, was not found on this server.

Return to posts index

Sofi Marshall
on Nov 24, 2009 at 11:14:33 pm

Looks like it's trying to include my comma in the link. The tutorial I was following is here:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hd_dvds_on_sd_dvds_young.html

As an update, I created an SD DVD using the m2v encoding from Compressor. While everything is working and the DVD plays well, the quality is really very bad. I know it's always a difficult thing to go from HD material to an SD DVD, but it seems there must be a way to get higher quality since I have such a short film.

I have heard that people get better quality using the h.264 codec with iDVD (since DVDSP doesn't support it for 1080i), so maybe I will try that next.

Any ideas on how I can get better quality?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Nov 25, 2009 at 1:24:18 am

Sofi

You are not going to get HD on DVD. The link is to create a HD DVD which is a different format and no longer exist. Create a Stand Definition DVD and you will be fine. The only way to get HD on DVD-R is to burn a Blu Ray disc.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:48:58 am

NEVER go to H264 is you are making a SD DVD, it just means you are going through a major compression pass twice.

You can get great SD DVD from well shoot and color corrected HD footage, but it will not look as good as the HD footage. I gave you a start on compressing settings but you give no info on what you have tried.

That link is telling you how to make a HD DVD using standard DVDs media, they are still HD DVD that can only be played Intel macs, some G5 and the discontinued HD DVD players. So if you have any plans on passing your disc out it is a totally dead end. The article is also almost 3 years old. HD DVD has died a quick but painful death since then.

So you can try all sorts of things but if you are trying to make DVDs all you will be doing is wasting your time. It would be wiser to spend the time learning m2v encoding with Compressor and doing sample encodes and tweaking the use of filters.

What settings and method are you using?

Return to posts index

Sofi Marshall
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:36:32 am

I used the setting for DVD: Best Quality 90 minutes from Compressor and pulled up the bit rate to 7.5 then burned the SD DVD with DVDSP.

Initially, I had tested the DVD on a TV and the contrast/colors were off and it looked jumpy, but it turns out that the problem was with the TV in that it was very old and it seems like it was having a problem with the progressive scanning. I just got to test it on another TV and the quality was much improved, though the disk stuttered in a few places, which was strange because when I went back and played through those areas again, there was no stutter. Additionally, there was no stuttering on my computer, so I'm assuming it's just the DVD player having a little trouble with the recorded DVD.

Anyway, your suggestions for the m2v compression did yield the best results so thank you! I understand now what you're saying about that tutorial and why I was getting very unstable DVDs. I guess I'm still getting used to the idea that after spending so much time and money on an HD project, I have to almost go back to SD to distribute it.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice!

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 25, 2009 at 11:48:27 am

Sofi, I have just read this thread and I wish I'd seen it sooner.

I have been through all the problems that you have and I now get wonderful SD DVD's from my full HD footage and I do this:

Export the HD timeline (in Media 100) by reference to a QT .Mov file.

I then use BitVice to downscale the media and encode to M2V. The key is in the quality of the downscale, I think BitVice is the best of all of them and their encode is also top quality. They do this in two passes at a VBR which, for a short film, I set an average of 6.5.
I use Compressor only for converting the AIFF audio to Dolby ac3, then Studio Pro to format and mux the M2V and ac3 and finally Titanium Toast to burn the disc.

It's a lengthy process (the downscale and encode takes 5 X the running time of the production) but the result is well worth it. I never have any play problems on any machine and nor does anyone playing my discs. I have seen my DVD's projected in cinemas on a huge screen and the picture (upscaled through a Blu-Ray player)and it looked great.

It's worth taking the trouble, I don't have any connection with BitVice but I suggest you visit their site, the company is Innobits and is based in Sweden.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Sofi Marshall
on Nov 25, 2009 at 2:52:19 pm

Thanks! I will give this a try today. It does seem like Compressor's down scaling and encoding to m2v is not the best quality out there, so I'm definitely willing to use an alternative, even it takes longer.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:18:21 pm

Sofi....the problem is that your workflow is not correct somewhere. I just needed to tell you that before you go out a spend some money unnecessarily :)

Return to posts index

Sofi Marshall
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:29:12 pm

Here is my workflow. Please tell me if you think I'm doing some wrong, missing a step, etc...

I'm editing 1080 24p from Sony HDCAM in Avid Media Composer. I'm exporting my film as a "same as source" QT reference file.

Then I bring this file into compressor and use the "DVD: Best 90 minutes" compression setting, changing only the bit rate to be 7.5.

Then I bring that into DVDSP, it imports with a green check mark and I make my DVD.

The DVD quality is acceptable, but it does tend to randomly skip when played in most DVD players, and sometimes skips up to 30 seconds of a scene before playing normally again. Maybe this has to do with burning the DVD straight from DVDSP? I know in iDVD I would always make a disk image and then use disk utility to burn and would get much more reliable DVD's. Should I be using disk utility or even Toast to burn?

So there's nothing wrong with this method, but it seems like I should be able to use a higher quality compression since my film is so small (10 Minutes). Since I will distributing this DVD to festivals, I want to make sure that I'm getting the very best quality possible. If using compressor to go to m2v is the best setting, then that's just what I'll have to do. However, after doing some research is seems like a lot of people are unhappy with the way that Compressor deals with the downscale from HD to SD. In that case, I'm willing to try other programs that may handle the downscale better, but the BitVice is pretty expensive.

Thanks!
Sofi

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 25, 2009 at 5:14:04 pm

Compressor does a great job if you set it correctly, you never want an average bitrate that high. in fact on short video CBR at 6.5 and above will always give you better looking and more compatible encodes than any VBR, VBRs help when you need a lower average bitrate. And Bit Vise is better when you get to 4 and below.

[Sofi Marshall] "but it does tend to randomly skip when played in most DVD players,"
this is a bitrate problem and it will happen with any encoder at that bitrate..

Return to posts index

Sofi Marshall
on Nov 26, 2009 at 3:23:14 am

To close out this thread...

I encoded the DVD as CBR at a bit rate of 6.5 and have a good looking product with no skips on the DVD that I burned out of DVD SP.

Thanks to everyone for the input, and hopefully next time this process will be a lot easier!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 26, 2009 at 6:21:10 am

Glad you got it all worked out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]