FORUMS: list search recent posts

24P Footage - Please help! (DVD Studio Pro)

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce McNamara
24P Footage - Please help! (DVD Studio Pro)
on Nov 16, 2009 at 10:12:08 am

Hi there

I'm going to be making DVDs using 24P footage that has been in cut in FCP on a 24P timeline.

Just a few questions:

1) Can compressor covert a 24P QT file to Mpeg2 using the Best Quality 90 Min setting? (ie, no extra steps?)

2) If the client wishes to distribute the DVD in the States, would I need to make a separate NSTC DVD? Or could I make a multiregion PAL DVD?

Any help would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: 24P Footage - Please help! (DVD Studio Pro)
on Nov 16, 2009 at 8:11:23 pm

1. Yes

2. You would need to make an NTSC disc.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 16, 2009 at 8:43:31 pm

24P is not PAL, what do you have.

Return to posts index

Bryce McNamara
on Nov 21, 2009 at 12:41:26 pm

Hi Michael,

The footage is HDV 720p24 (23.976 fps), so yeah it's not PAL, but I'm going to have to convert it to both PAL and NTSC versions before authoring the respective DVDs.

I would appreciate it if you could clarify the following for me:

Could I do these two conversions easily enough in Compressor?

What I am planning on doing is using the Best Quality 90 Minute setting and then altering the 'Video Format' setting to PAL and NTSC for each version (although I see that it's automatically set to NTSC when at 23.976 fps, and if I then alter it to PAL and back to NTSC it changes to 29.97).

I'll then bring each of those versions into its respective DVDSP project for authoring.

If you could shed any light on this method, or suggest a better way, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Bryce

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 21, 2009 at 5:04:21 pm

encode the video for NTSC at 23.98

when you do the encode for PAL use Frame tab, turn on and go down to Retiming Controls>Set Duration>drop down to 23.98 to 25,

this is keep the frames structure the same but plays them at 25fps vs. 24fps. You then need to retime your audio (in Sound Track pro) so there is no pitch change. Been a long time since I have done this so you will need to look up the procedure for that.

I don't like high bitrate VBRs so I would go with a 6.2Mbps CBR encode, it will be much faster and give you better results.

Now all that being said, you need to look into the need of doing a true PAL DVD in the first place. Most people are no longer doing the conversion because such a great percentage of PAL DVD players can handle NTSC disc just fine. It is all over these forum if you want to do a search.

Return to posts index

Bryce McNamara
on Nov 21, 2009 at 11:31:14 pm

Thanks for the help! That clarified quite a bit for me. I'll give that a shot when the project gets underway and see how it works out.

I've heard that in some cases the slight increase in pitch is negligible; but I guess I'll have to experience this myself and then decide how to handle the audio.

Thanks again,

Bryce
Melbourne, Australia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]