FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD Project on HD DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
saqib mausoof
SD Project on HD DVD
on Nov 13, 2009 at 2:33:02 am

Hello,

I have a SD project (720x576) PAL 25fps that needs to be played at a festival that only supports 35mm or HD DVD (blu-Ray).

What would be the best option here. Would I up convert the footage to HD? My base file is 10-bit uncompressed to Digibeta, output for DVD is m2v for SD DVD.

I am concerned about the quality of project, original footage was on S16mm.

Any ideas would be helpful?

Saqib Mausoof
Black Crow productions

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: SD Project on HD DVD
on Nov 13, 2009 at 2:43:39 am

HD-DVD and Blu-ray are two different things and neither are simply made with FCS. Are you positive the festival won't accept standard definition material? It's asking a lot for you to unconvert and give them HD from an SD project when it's easy on their end to play an SD source out to a projector that upconverts- all do.

If they insist- I'd suggest going to a post house and having them do an upconvert to HDCAM from your source. Going to cost a bit though. So I'd really confirm carefully with the festival that they must have an HD version.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Nov 13, 2009 at 3:28:18 pm

Blu-ray supports SD m2v's on the disc. You can just create the DVD m2v, author it in a Blu-ray authoring program (such as adobe Encore), burn it to a Blu-ray disc (or standard dvd if you know how), and play it back on the Blu-ray player, which should automatically upconvert on the fly.

The Blu-ray player should also support playing back a regular SD-DVD created in FCS, and will also upconvert on the fly.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

saqib mausoof
on Nov 13, 2009 at 6:15:47 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. The festival supports 35mm film or HD DVD. Rotten eggs indeed :)

I guess I will try to burn my SD m2v footage through Adobe encore to bLu-ray DVD. It would probably look terrible, what a waste, I have such a nice Digibeta tape ready to go.

Thanks again.
Saqib

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Nov 13, 2009 at 6:37:04 pm

Are you sure it's HD DVD? Because HD DVD and Blu-ray are two different formats. If you recall, HD DVD lost the format war against blu-ray and is no longer used.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Nov 13, 2009 at 7:01:27 pm

Check with the festival staff again. I seriously doubt they except only Blu Ray. All BD players play regular DVDs anyway so there is most definitely a little confusion on someones part here.

Return to posts index

saqib mausoof
on Nov 13, 2009 at 8:48:39 pm

I have sent an email to their technical staff in Singapore. My contact kept saying HD-DVD and I said Toshiba stopped making those in 2008 :)

Ideally, from a best quality perspective, I assume dropping my SD content in Encore and burning it on BluRay DVD should be the best best?

Up converting might not be worth it. Playing a standard DVDon BluRay player might be too risky....

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Nov 14, 2009 at 2:13:30 am

Why? There's no point in this!!! If your film is SD then it will always be SD. Make a regular SD DVD and send that. It will playback on their BD player - all BD player playback SD DVD. Sending SD material on BD? Now thats risky! LOL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]