FORUMS: list search recent posts

90 minute best quality dvd for 70 minute film? or custom settings?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Callum Swift
90 minute best quality dvd for 70 minute film? or custom settings?
on Nov 9, 2009 at 11:18:25 am

Hi,

I have an HD project which i need to compress to m2v for an sd dvd.

The main feature is 60 minutes and there are 10 minutes of extras, so 70 total.

I am working on an incredibly tight deadline, and I have already exported using the 'DVD best quality 90 minutes' setting. The result looks very good. However the file is only 2.4 GB big. Adding the extras will probably raise it to 3gb. So there is obviously a lot of extra room, because my original was 70 minutes not 90.

So my question is will it be worth doing another compression and raising the bit rate to try and get the file closer to 4.7gb and thus maximize the quality? This will be at the expense of a very valuable day.

Will i see a noticeable increase in video quality? The dvd is going for sale around the world and this will be the master copy!

any advice would be awesome, the ideal response would be 'dont bother you wont see that much of an increase in quality'!! haha but if thats not the case please let me know!

Cheers

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 90 minute best quality dvd for 70 minute film? or custom settings?
on Nov 9, 2009 at 2:50:38 pm

The visual difference between 90 minutes and cranking it up a few more notches is not night and day- quite the opposite really. The preset should be fine for ya.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Callum Swift
on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:01:55 pm

thanks noah!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 10, 2009 at 6:14:12 pm

Hi Callum,

You didn't specify what system you are working on, PC or Mac, but either way, if YOU are happy with the current quality and have no time for re-dos, then it should be fine as-is as Noah mentioned.

For future reference, I only use "presets" as a starting point for general settings. I then tweak the settings to suit my needs. Adobe recommends a formula of 560/minutes to determine video bitrate, and just round down a bit from the result. This assumes AC3 audio and does not take "extras" into account. For instance, 560/90 = 6.22, encode at 6.0 then.

For a shorter program like yours, the formula results in "8". While this is DVD-legal (upper limit), the general consensus is that high bitrates can cause issues on some players, so it's better to stay at 7 or below regardless of program length.

Also, I recommend CBR (Constant Bit Rate) encoding versus VBR unless program is running closer to 2 hours or more. This has worked for me to both fill the disc and deliver a consistent quality.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:59:19 pm

Second the CBR note. CBR for anything over an average of 6Mbps will always give you the best results and it will take a lot less time to get there,

But if you want the best encode you have to work at it, this is more with doing a little work with filters, if you are after quick and good enough then the presets or a little mods are fine. If you are willing to put in the time to test and evaluate then the presets are the only answer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]