FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need input w/pricing on Authoring a big Corp. Training job

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Jordan
Need input w/pricing on Authoring a big Corp. Training job
on Nov 1, 2009 at 2:08:09 am

Located in Houston, TX, we will be shooting a big corp. training video series soon and we want to outsource the DVD authoring part at the end.

We'll be shooting everything on a Panasonic HPX300, Intra 50, 720 x 30pn or 24pn. Bringing into FCP 7 to edit and outputting final product as QT.mov's. In the end we will be delivering to the client a total of 250hrs. of training video (a 6 week training course for employees).

Based on a 1.5hrs. per DVD we'll have around 166 to 170 DVD's.

In addition to compression and authoring, we'll be furnishing finished artwork to be printed on each DVD. This will be a PS template and the only thing that will change is the titles for each DVD.

We'll deliver the files in groups as many as will fit onto 2tb drives to whoever authors these files.

So...based on these specs, authoring and printing directly on the DVD the artwork for 170 or so DVD's what would be a price we need to be looking for in a company quote?

We're trying to get a feel for what you all think a realistic budget would be for that kinda of job.

Thanks so much ahead of time.

Dual Core, 3GHz, OS 10.5.6, 16GB Ram, 2 TB internal HD, ATI Radeon X1900 Graphics Card, 4TB External Raid, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Dual Core, 10.5.7, Panasonic HPX300 Camera.
The entire Adobe Creative Suite 4, Design Premium.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 19 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Need input w/pricing on Authoring a big Corp. Training job
on Nov 1, 2009 at 2:41:04 am

How many copies will be made? Just the one set of 170+ discs?

Will you need a menu designed for each disc? (obviously a template would be made and only minor text/image changes would be made from disc to disc)

Will there be full cases for the discs with artwork, or are you just delivering with a label in a clear clamshell case?

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Nov 1, 2009 at 3:11:16 am

Yes, just one copy. One set.

Yes there will be a menu but we will supply that also.

As far as delivery, once the 170 DVD's are complete and printed on, we're going to place them in a thick leather bound DVD case with Clear DVD leaves. Each leaf has four DVD's on the front & 4 on the back. The case holds 240 DVD's. We're buying that. We just need the work done that I mentioned.

Dual Core, 3GHz, OS 10.5.6, 16GB Ram, 2 TB internal HD, ATI Radeon X1900 Graphics Card, 4TB External Raid, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Dual Core, 10.5.7, Panasonic HPX300 Camera.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Nov 1, 2009 at 11:57:06 am

Actually Jon, after thinking this through a little more, what we'll probably be doing is editing, proofing and then having a company authoring these video's in groups.

For example, Let's say out of the total of 170 or so DVD's, they are divided into 30 or 40 different departments. What we'll do is complete one dept. with the number of DVD's belonging to that dept. and send that group of video's off to be authored and then deliver that group to the client. Then move one to the next group. Each dept. group of DVD's will vary of course. Some may be 2 or 3 DVD's and others may be 8 or 10 covering that specific dept.'s material.

So the company that does the authoring we'll have to establish a work flow over weeks/months pushing completed work to them.

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 1, 2009 at 7:43:46 pm

Hi Martin-

Just out of curiosity are DVDs an absolute must for the distribution format? 160-170 DVDs sounds a bit unwieldy, especially if it's all for one set. What about you simply deliver a kiosk style system with the entirety of the course on it? Say you include a Mac Mini with the videos tied together with a well-designed menu system- you could do this really easily as a Keynote presentation for example.

That is much easier to manage than a pile of discs and also means that they can hook it up to any monitor, projector, TV, etc ready to roll the entirety of the course at will. That vs. sorting through a massive number of discs looking for the next one in the series- minimizes chances for losing or damaging any one disc. Because you know if that happens, the client will come looking for that one disc otherwise the set becomes incomplete.

You could even output everything as Podcast episodes on an iPod as part of your bid and have them connect that directly to a monitor. And since you're shooting HD 720p, you'd be able to deliver in HD rather than down-converting to standard definition. (Not to mention you'd be saving a lot of time and wasted discs in getting it all put together.) Just burning that many discs and testing them would take several weeks for all but a dedicated authoring farm.

I can think of a lot of ways to make this happen and with that much content personally I'd deliver in a more flexible format than a pile of DVDs. It will also give you more control over the content and ability to update it without going back through the pile to figure out which disc went wrong etc. Just the quality control of going through that many DVDs individually gives me a headache. :) Also I can tell you that 1.5 hours per DVD is conservative, with a good encoder you can easily put double that or more per disc. I'd also recommend you shoot 24p rather than 30p- that will give you 20% smaller file sizes= more content per disc.

I also happen to run a company that could take that sorta thing on- so if you want to get some real numbers and maybe some suggestions of how to structure it DVD or otherwise- please drop me a line: noah at highroadproductions dot com or respond to this post with your contact info and I'll drop you a line.

Best,
Noah Kadner

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Nov 2, 2009 at 1:10:30 am

Noah,

I left you a VM.

Call me. I love your ideas.

281.589.7797 ASAP preferably Sunday night)

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]