FORUMS: list search recent posts

What files make up a master DVD to send for replication?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Fromme
What files make up a master DVD to send for replication?
on Oct 30, 2009 at 10:53:35 am

Hi All

I've used DVDA Pro for a while with good results but now need to use the copyright protection element and produce a Master DVD for replication.

I click Make DVD > Write Master
and step through to Properties

Copy Protection
For Disc copyrighted, I change to Yes
For Copy generation (CGMS), I change to One [so the Master can produce copies but the copies can't be copied]

Mastering
Output format, DDP2.10
DVD-ROM type, DVD-5

Clicking OK for the above produces two things:

1: A folder called MyDVDName_MASTER that contains a folder called LAYER_0
The folder LAYER_0 contains four files
CONTROL.DAT (32K)
DDPID (1K)
IMAGE.DAT (723.8K)
T5TEXT.DAT (1K)

2: In a folder called MyDiscs, the usual AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders are created.
The VIDEO_TS contents are the expected VOB, IFO, BUP files and the contents play on WinDVD.

My question is what do I actually send the DVD replicating company? Do I simply copy the four files in the LAYER_0 folder to a DVD? Do I copy the LAYER_0 folder and its contents to a DVD? Or something else?

Thanks
Dave

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: What files make up a master DVD to send for replication?
on Oct 30, 2009 at 11:48:51 am

Dave,

[Dave Fromme] "For Copy generation (CGMS), I change to One [so the Master can produce copies but the copies can't be copied]"

Set this to none. The setting applies to the replicated product not the DDP image disc (master) you're submitting.

[Dave Fromme] "Mastering Output format, DDP2.10"

This isn't real important but DDP2.0 is more often used and preferred by some replicators.

[Dave Fromme] "My question is what do I actually send the DVD replicating company?"

You need only send the files in the Layer0 folder. You can include the Layer0 folder but it isn't necessary. You don't need to include T5TEXT.DAT but it won't be a problem if it's there.

It is wise to label the disc as containing DDP files and maybe refer to the disc as "Replication Files" or "DVD Replication Image" instead of a "DVD Master." If the operator is asleep at the wheel you could end up with a lot of copies of the DDP files instead of a VIDEO_TS file set. It happens. Make sure your account rep knows you're sending DDP files too - for the same reason.

Dave

Return to posts index

Dave Fromme
on Oct 30, 2009 at 1:07:53 pm

Dave

Many thanks for your reply and all the pointers in the right direction... especially the one about labelling the disk as a replication image rather than DVD master. I could just see that happening!!

A follow-up question if I may... is there any way to check the Replication Image disk before sending it to the replication company? Or do I have to keep my fingers crossed that the Image is OK and the disks produced from the Replication Image will work.

Thanks
Dave

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Oct 30, 2009 at 3:19:53 pm

If you are worried about it, you could ask for a check disc, which is a one-off proof made from the stamper that will be used for replication. Most replication companies will make you one for anywhere from $100 to $300 for a few copies to test before making the entire run.

###
Matt Townley
MST Productions
[Media Services/Duplication/Replication]
http://www.mstproductions.com

Return to posts index

Dave Fromme
on Oct 30, 2009 at 6:32:22 pm

Thanks Matt.

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Oct 30, 2009 at 7:03:13 pm

Dave,

If...
  • You're sure that the authoring hasn't changed since you burned a proof disc and,
  • That your DDP image is the same as that proof and,
  • You use good media and,
  • Burn the disc at no more then 4x and,
  • Use the verify feature of your burning software

Then your as diligent as can be.

There is one thing to bear in mind about asking for the short replication run proof. Each time the stamper gets handled it runs the risk of being damaged. Also, there is quite a bit of fine tuning that happens to get the press "up to speed" and the setup on the actual run may not be identical to the "test" run.

Personally I think it better to take the actual run as proof.

Dave

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 30, 2009 at 9:44:19 pm

Excuse me for interrupting but are you using DVDSP? What is DVDA Pro? The copy protection button needs to be check ON if your including a DDP image to be replicated with CSS. This button sets the CSS flags in that image.

Return to posts index

Dave Fromme
on Oct 31, 2009 at 2:06:30 pm

Dave: Again, all your points make absolute sense.

Potentially, the cost of asking for a one-off proof will be more than getting the 100 copies made so I guess my best approach is to minimise the risk by keeping all your points in mind.

Dave, many thanks!

Eric: What is DVDA Pro?

It's DVD Architect Pro: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/dvdarchitectpro

The copy protection button needs to be check ON

The option is a drop-down in DVDA. Disc copyrighted (Yes/No) then Copy generations (None/One/Unlimited)

Regards
Dave

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 31, 2009 at 4:59:25 pm

Ahh...got it. Never used DVDA.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]