FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please help with exporting HD footage to SD DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Callum Goodwilliam
Please help with exporting HD footage to SD DVD
on Oct 27, 2009 at 4:22:36 pm

Ok, I'm at my wits end here and would really appreciate some help.

I'm trying to burn a dvd with studio pro of a 45minute video. The footage is hd1080i.

However compressor does not seem to work at all on this system and I have no way of reinstalling it. I have a copy of mpeg streamclip but do not know what settings I need to export from Final Cut Pro or Streamclip to keep the highest possible quality.

Every time I try and burn in studio pro the programme says there is not enough room on the dvd.

I can provide more details if people need it. Please, please help me!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Please help with exporting HD footage to SD DVD
on Oct 27, 2009 at 6:34:25 pm

what bitrate are you using?

Are you using ac3 for the audio?

Return to posts index

Andrew Ford
on Oct 27, 2009 at 6:37:45 pm

If you want to keep your video 16:9, I'd convert to MPEG2 (m2v) using the 16:9 NTSC CCIR 601/DV pixel aspect ratio. Audio should be converted to .ac3, which will save disc space.

---------------------------------------------
Always design with a purpose.

Return to posts index

Callum Goodwilliam
on Oct 27, 2009 at 7:06:18 pm

"If you want to keep your video 16:9, I'd convert to MPEG2 (m2v) using the 16:9 NTSC CCIR 601/DV pixel aspect ratio. Audio should be converted to .ac3, which will save disc space."

I do want to keep the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Where am I converting to Mpeg2? Streamclip of Final Cut? Sorry can you step by step that for me as I am not sure where I am looking to find those export / convertion settings?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Luke Hindyoo
on Mar 17, 2010 at 8:04:44 am

I have been testing and trying many different ways to answer this problem. If you have HD footage in FCP, and want it look good on SD DVD using Studio Pro, you may find that this is helpful.

Go into you FCP for your sequence settings. Change the compressor to 'None'. Export Quicktime. This will give you an extraordinarily large file, (like 100+ gigs, depending on your project). Take that file directly into Studio Pro, and NOT compressor. Allow Studio pro to encode for you.

Couple things to think about. This works for smaller movies in length, as the gigs do not exceed reasonable storage and usage. You must adjust your encoding settings in DVD SP as well. Start with a high bit rate, and when it says that it is too high, slowly turn it down, until you find one that works. You may have to change this in the preferences of SP, and re import every time it says its too high.

All sounds very confusing, but it you will be pleased with the results.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 17, 2010 at 3:40:06 pm

This thread is months old but...

[Luke Hindyoo] "Take that file directly into Studio Pro, and NOT compressor. Allow Studio pro to encode for you. "
Sorry, totally have to disagree here, while it is more of a workflow thing for me, DVDSP gives you very little control over the encoding and you are forced to you uncompressed audio which causes playback issues as well as giving up way to much bitrate that could go to video.

Also letting FCP handle the downconvert is not wise. Best quality is always Export using Compressor from FCP sequence, but it is also the slowest.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]