FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV(Final Cut) to DVD on a longer movie

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Cushnie
HDV(Final Cut) to DVD on a longer movie
on Oct 21, 2009 at 9:43:55 pm

OK, so I'm trying to save a movie I made that is 45 minutes long and convert it onto a DVD. Usually, I use a workflow that first involves saving using QT conversion as a Pro-Res 422 file, then taking that file that has been saved and putting it through compressor as "DVD 60 minutes" or something like that, then finally into DVD Studio Pro. I've found that this preserves the best quality for HDV down-conversion.

However, I've been trying to save this file and since it it 45 minutes long and heavily edited, there is always the error message saying "out of disk space" or something else. I have over 400 GB available on the disk I am saving it to, so I don't know what's wrong.

I don't want to just send the FCP project itself directly through compressor because it ends up looking awful, so any suggestions on how to successfully save the movie and still preserve the quality would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jurgen Hoppe
Re: HDV(Final Cut) to DVD on a longer movie
on Oct 23, 2009 at 2:38:26 am

Try following. Calculate best conversion of your QT movie at http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php
Then drag QT file to compressor MPEG-2 Program Stream. In the inspector section select stream usage "SD DVD" and in "quality" you write results of Average and Maximum Bit rate indicated by the online calculator and do a MPEG-2 file (m2v). The you throw your QT file again into the compressor and do an AC3 audio file. Import assets to DVDSP and create your DVD. This workflow might workout better.

Return to posts index

Douglas Cushnie
on Oct 23, 2009 at 3:55:40 am

I'm sorry, I don't understand what I'm supposed to do first. What exactly am I saving the movie in from final cut?

Return to posts index

Jurgen Hoppe
on Oct 23, 2009 at 11:22:59 am

You can just do a self-contained QT movie (export QT, current settings) and start from there. If you are not able to save a QT file on your disk, you have definitely setting problem or your disk is full.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]