FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSP: Animating Buttons - Any help?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce McNamara
DSP: Animating Buttons - Any help?
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:40:00 am

Hi there,

I've recently seen a DVD menu where a rotating image serves as a selection highlight when a button is active. So to clarify that, there would be the buttons as text, and next to the text depending on which text/button is highlighted would be a moving element (for example a small globe spinning, or a glowing sphere. etc.)

From my current experience in DSP I have only been able to do this statically using overlays created in photoshop.

Could anybody give me any clear suggestions as to how this animated effect on a button highlight is achieved in DVD Studio Pro.

Thanks in advance!

Bryce

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: DSP: Animating Buttons - Any help?
on Oct 21, 2009 at 7:22:16 am

Which title was it?

I think you're talking about using an overlay to "mask" an area of motion embedded in the video itself. For example, you have 3 button with text with a blue background. Next to each of these button would be your spinning icon or whatever you like. You would then construct an overlay which masked this icon and match its color with the blue background. This way, once you set the normal state to match the blue it completly covers up the icon. On the activated state you would set the buttons opacity to "0", making the icon appear. The opposite of the normal path in button overlays. There's a tutorial floating out there somewhere but i can't find it right now. The problem is that on many players, the 8bit will disappear for a split second before it goes onto the track...showing the world your little secret :)

The spec does allow for moving 8 bit overlays as well. But something like this can't be done in DVDSP...only high end authoring programs. If you look at Spiderman disc you will see an example of this.

Return to posts index

Bryce McNamara
on Oct 21, 2009 at 11:55:29 am

Hey Eric

Wow, that seems so straight forward and obvious, I can't believe I didn't think of that before! Thanks for the clarity.

The DVD I saw this on was 'House of 1000 Corpses' directed by Rob Zombie. Really interesting DVD design.

Thanks for the help!

Bryce

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 21, 2009 at 7:19:18 pm

Neat trick huh? Sorry. I meant the Selected state would be be an opacity of zero.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]