FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tracks with different aspect ratios

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Soquel Morhaim
Tracks with different aspect ratios
on Oct 16, 2009 at 12:38:36 am

Hello,

I had a question about the capabilities in DVD Studio Pro 4.0 concerning the following scenario- if you have a dvd project built with a menu leading to several video tracks, some of which are 16:9, some of which are 4:3, is there any way to ensure that ALL the tracks play in correct aspect ratio in both wide screen AND 4:3 TVs? as in, on a widescreen tv the 16:9 videos would fill the frame and the 4:3 videos would have black bar on the sides. and the same DVD on a 4:3 tv would have the 4:3 videos filling the frame and the 16:9 videos playing with letterbox. besides setting the aspect ratio of the track correctly (which does make the tracks play in correct aspect ratio when the DVD being viewed in a laptop, but not a tv in my experience) is there some way to flag the tracks in Studio Pro to make this happen? or is this pipe dream?

also, if you have tracks where some are 16:9 and some are 4:3, what's the best way to have a "PLAY ALL" function, in addition to a menu where tracks are selected individually that end jump back to the menu? the only way I've thought of to do this is to duplicate all the tracks in the project, and in the second group link the PLAY ALL button to first track, then connect the rest through end jumps. seems silly to double the content, plus can fill the disc up past capacity.

any guidance is most appreciated,
sarah

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Tracks with different aspect ratios
on Oct 16, 2009 at 2:54:12 am

That should pretty much happen naturally- if you set up your aspect ratios correctly the DVD player itself will do the proper letterboxing/pillar boxing and full framing as needed for both 4:3 and 16:9 displays...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Andrew Saliga
on Oct 16, 2009 at 8:39:18 pm

DVDSP should do this automatically as Noah says. One tip I'd add is to make sure that there is a frame or two of black at the beginning of these tracks or the video itself. I've had the track start on a freeze frame of sorts while the DVD player switches to play at the correct aspect ratio.

For example, if creating a "play all" option, going from a 4:3 track to a 16:9 track may result in a a short lag where the 16:9 video is displayed at 4:3 before correcting.

Also note that 16:9 DVDs should letterbox on a 4:3 set and be full screen on a 16:9 set, but the major gotcha on this one is that this is a feature on most DVD players that must be activated via menu. Hopefully everyone realizes to enable this function on their DVD players, but I've realized most people don't even notice when their TV images are distorted, know to adjust settings on their TVs, yet alone within the DVD player.

-Andrew Saliga

Steelehouse Productions
http://www.steelehouse.com (undergoing a much-needed redesign)
http://www.vimeo.com/steelehouse

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
on Oct 17, 2009 at 2:37:49 am

[Sarah Soquel Morhaim] "what's the best way to have a "PLAY ALL" function, in addition to a menu where tracks are selected individually that end jump back to the menu? … seems silly to double the content, plus can fill the disc up past capacity."

Sarah,

Your second question hasn't been answered yet. You have videos of different aspect ratios, so you can't make them chapters of one track, and then create multiple Stories, one that plays all of them, and others that play one chapter and return to menu.
So, you will have to create scripts. When the user selects Play All, they are sent to a script that sets a PlayAll flag & then jumps to Video_1 (track). Each track has as its End jump to go to a script which checks for this flag.
Video_1 (a track) end jumps to Video1End (script)— if PlayAll = 1, jump Video_2 (track). If PlayAll=0, jump to Menu:whatever_button_you_want_highlighted
Video_2 (a track) end jumps to Video2End (script)— if PlayAll = 1, jump Video_3 (track). If PlayAll=0, jump to Menu:whatever_button_you_want_highlighted

Actually, you could put all the Video track end jumps into one script, and set a WhichVideo flag in a prescript for each track. It just depends on your programing style, whether you like lots of little scripts, or fewer large ones with lots of condition statements!

Christopher Smith

CBN WorldReach

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 18, 2009 at 4:02:15 am

No need to script this at all. Actually using stories is perfect for this siutaion and also how most professional disc would be authored. The stand alone track would be the individual piece while a story of the same track would be apart of the play all. Once a story is created its a self contained title with its own end jump.

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
on Oct 18, 2009 at 5:23:02 pm

Thanks, Eric. Each video, itself a track, would have a single-entry story. Play All button plays Track 1:Story, which end jumps to Track 2:Story, etc. Thanks for giving us a new way of looking at stories.

Christopher Smith

CBN WorldReach

Return to posts index

Sarah Soquel Morhaim
on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:07:09 am

Thanks for all the answers!!
(and apologies for taking longer than i'd like to say thank you.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]