FORUMS: list search recent posts

cause of DVD playback "freezes"?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Schorsch
cause of DVD playback "freezes"?
on Oct 15, 2009 at 5:38:29 pm

Hi,

I recently went on a helicopter tour and received a (non-protected) DVD of the trip. When playing the DVD on my PS3 the playback 'appears' to halt at particular points (always the same spots). If I hit the fast forward button, eventually the picture will start moving and I can watch the rest. The strange thing is the time counter (if I put up the on-screen display) does not count during these halts, it will stop, and then once the glitch is past, while I am fast forwarding, the counter will start counting again.

So, my question is does anyone know what caused this? Was the PC they used to make the video too slow or is it more complicated?

I am just starting to try to import into Final Cut Pro to fix both this problem, the loud audio pops, and some video artifacts. Will this just go away in the process, or will I have to cut some 'dead' frames?

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

-Brent

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
Re: cause of DVD playback
on Oct 16, 2009 at 1:01:20 am

You say that the time code stops when the video halts. I would suspect there are no \"dead frames.\" Rather, the player is struggling to read the next data. On Apple\'s DVD Player, a message informs me at such times, \"Skipping over bad sectors,\" or similar words. I believe your console is trying to read the disc, but just isn\'t telling you what it\'s doing.

Christopher Smith

CBN WorldReach

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Oct 16, 2009 at 3:45:39 pm

It was likely burned at too fast of a speed or the media used was of poor quality.

If you are able to extract the data off using a computer, it might be able to get all the data off those bad sectors, and you should be able to burn it without the glitches/freezes. If you computer is unable to read the bad sectors just as your playstation is, then you will have dropouts in the video, but at least the freezing will be gone.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 16, 2009 at 6:45:01 pm

Or the biggest culprit was they used a high bitrate and PCM audio. These guys dont' do DVD.....They fly helicopters!! Get a bitrate viewer and check the bitrates: Needs to be withing 8mb/s

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsearch=bitrate&Submit=Search&convert=&s=...

If the audio is PCM, then extract the audio and video with something like MPEG Stream Clip and redo the disc in your authoring tool of choice.

Tons of good tools and guides on that site I gave you.

It could be bad/cheap media too so burn another disc and see how it does.

Return to posts index

Brent Schorsch
on Oct 20, 2009 at 5:20:04 am

MPEG Streamclip had no problems importing the video, and did not report any errors that I saw.

I cleaned up the audio in Soundtrack Pro, and am in the process of authoring a new DVD.

(I was thinking I might add an alternate audio track that is just music, and perhaps even do a subtitle track to go with it)

Thanks for the help!

-Brent

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 20, 2009 at 7:10:02 pm

Check your bitrates too with the tools listed on that site. Make sure you use AC3 audio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]