FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro, a second Superdrive? Or separate DVD burning solution?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Simpson
Mac Pro, a second Superdrive? Or separate DVD burning solution?
on Oct 14, 2009 at 10:41:39 am

So here's the thing, I've been a hobbyist videographer, up till now I've been producing one sports event production a month, one 2.5hr dvd and 50 copies. And that would take about roughly about 10mins per dvd, so say 6 per hour, 8 hours, so one Saturday or Sunday. Now I'm getting pretty good and popular at this, and I've strayed into part time business, giving customers what they asked for, "more", the last dvd was a 4.5hr double dvd, 80 copies, so 160 dvds suddenly, it took 3 days to burn them. Next year it's likely to be similar numbers but 2 events a month. 320 dvds a month. You can see where I'm going with this!

I'm wondering can you, using DVDStudioPro and 2 superdrives, burn 2 dvds at once? Plus I fear I must be wearing my first superdrive out, I doubt it was built for mass duplication, so a second back up drive might be a good thing. I don't want to use a Duplicating Service as I like flexibility and speed, and it's considerably cheaper (I don't generate enough numbers).

So second drive (two at a time?) Or a separate peripheral solution? Additional software/Thoughts/Suggestions please?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Mac Pro, a second Superdrive? Or separate DVD burning solution?
on Oct 14, 2009 at 4:20:31 pm

You cannot burn to 2 disc at once on a computer. With numbers I would look into a duplicator that can do several disc and a time and then prints on the face. I don't use one so I'm not going to recommend a brand. Tape Online (http://www.tapeonline.com) is a sponsor on the cow and they sell a few models and they sell the media also. Get quality disc, don't try to save a few cents on no-name media.

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
on Oct 14, 2009 at 8:47:17 pm

Bitter experience has pushed me up to Taiyo-yuden 16x DVD-R. No quality control problems for last year and a half, say about 500-750 satisfied customers.

Yes I was looking at 1 to 3 duplicator I notice microboard duplicators use NEC drives, I've been advised elsewhere to go for Pioneer drives, saw a similar Edgedupe 1 to 3, with them. There's some cross pollenation between brands, who makes NEC drives, Pioneer, Sony? Or is it the other way around?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 14, 2009 at 9:01:39 pm

[Chris Simpson] "Taiyo-yuden"
I would say they are part of the top brands to use. any when you buy in bulk they are not that much more.

Sorry I really have no background with any duplicators but just saying that is really the way you need to go with the amount you are doing. I never make more than a few copies of any DVD title myself.

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
on Oct 15, 2009 at 8:54:30 am

Taiyo-yuden are about 3 times the price than ordinary DVD-R but saying that media is so cheap, what would it be in$, say 35cents compared 10cents per disc, clients don't realise they are really paying for my time, and my service, rather than the thing, finished product, that the extra cost for reliability that it will play on any player is worth and the lack of complaints. If only I could do and say the same for the UK postal service!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]