FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSP-Video choppy, graphics great

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dixon Johnston
DSP-Video choppy, graphics great
on Oct 5, 2009 at 4:41:35 pm

Hi all,
I've searched a lot of posts, but Im not seeing my problem so, Im hoping to get some advice on tracking down my problem and perhaps some solutions to fix it.

Heres what I'm trying to author to DVD, but am coming up with 'choppy' video, although the animated graphics look good.:
A 30 minute program, mostly talking heads, edited in FCP using DVCPRO50 source footage and timeline. Video: 720x486, 29.97fps, NTSC-CCIR 601 Pixel Aspect, lower field dominance. Ive exported reference movies, and self contained QT. I've tried exporting mpeg2 through Compressor using the "DVD: Best Quality 90 minute" Default settings, And Ive exported a monsterous uncompressed 8 bit QT file, ALL with the same results-jittery video and smooth graphic animations.
My graphics were imported/edited in 2 ways using animation codec, and DV/DVCPRO.

Is the problem likely bitrate? Most of my first exports were DVCPRO50 codec at roughly 60mb/s, and dropping into DSP with bad results. Then I tried compressor's mpeg2 formats yielding a more tolerable 4-8mb/s-still the same jittery video results.

Could it be an interlacing issue? I cant figure out why this would be it because , all source video, AND motion graphics show a consistent 'lower' field dominance, and they were exported that way too.

Im monitoring the edit on a broadcast NTSC interlaced monitor, and not seeing any problems during the edit.
When I check burned DVDs on computer, I dont see the problem. When I check on a standard interlace TV and consumer DVD player, its when I see the jitters.

If there's any other info I can provide, let me know. Thanks in advance for any theories are appreciated.

Dixon Johnston
Creative services Director-WRIC

Dual 2.0 G5, 4G RAM
OSX 10.4.1, FCP 5.1, QT 7
AJA Io-Beta SX (SDI)

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
Re: DSP-Video choppy, graphics great
on Oct 9, 2009 at 12:08:38 am

If the problem shows up on CRT but not computer, it sounds like an interlace issue. The other possibility is a framerate conflict, which wouldn\'t show on LCD. I must admit puzzlement why your reference NTSC monitor doesn\'t reveal issues, though. Do the timeline Sequence settings match your source video?
Somewhere there\'s a conflicting setting; nothing to do but keep looking, unfortunately.

Christopher Smith

CBN WorldReach

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]