FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading from DVDSP to Encore CS4? Good idea?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Berryman
Upgrading from DVDSP to Encore CS4? Good idea?
on Oct 1, 2009 at 6:18:34 pm

I would like to find a more professional DVD authoring program that is compatible with a Mac. It also needs to accept photoshop files and after effects as well. Is this the best option available and will Encore CS4 be compatible with CS3?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Upgrading from DVDSP to Encore CS4? Good idea?
on Oct 1, 2009 at 8:17:12 pm

CS3 what?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 1, 2009 at 8:25:01 pm

I would not say that Encore is a more professional authoring program.

But you are flowing in two different directions. More "Professional" to most professionals is going to mean spec level authoring (Scenarist) which is really high $ and steep learning curve but you can process finely tuned DVDs.

The Other direction are programs that integrate Photoshop and AE files into the authoring workflow, such as DVDSP (with PS files) and then even better is Encore, but this does not make them more "professional" authoring tools, in fact it makes them less. This is not to say they are not professional, just that they are not "more."

If Encode does everything you need it to do and you like the any it works with the other Adobe software use it. It is not a better app then DVDSP at best it is a sideways more, but if being able to go back and forth a little more easily with PS and AE is the main thing then it maybe worth it.

I would say more people that have used both seem to like/use DVDSP over Encore but there are those that like Encore better, Jon G for one, these are just tools, use what fits the best in your hands, at the end of the day all that matters is that you have the disc you want.

Return to posts index

Jessica Berryman
on Oct 1, 2009 at 8:33:33 pm

Hmm. Could you give me a few names of what you would recommend for the "professional" authoring programs. The costly ones? If I am creating DVDs that are going to be duplicated and sold should I pick something a little higher end than DVDSP or Encore?

I've just been using DVDSP a lot over the past year and I've found some issues with the program that don't make it as user friendly as needed.

Return to posts index

Jessica Berryman
on Oct 1, 2009 at 8:45:22 pm

Ok.. I just did my research. Sonic Scenarist is the "professional" is there any other programs.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 1, 2009 at 8:49:43 pm

If you find DVDSP to be "not user friendly" don't even look at spec level authoring.

Scenarist is the major full spec DVD authoring program, it is what most Hollywood titles are being authored with. I believe it is still about $50K for the software, it is PC only but if you are paying 50K for the software putting together a PC should be a big deal.

Now DVDSP can and does produce "professional" DVDs, and it does it in a fraction of the authoring time but the cost is heavy code that is being written in the background. This is why it is so easy to author with but this code is not always the most direct way of going something but you can do 90% of what can be done with a DVD with DVDSP. What Scenarist allows you to do is fine tune the code (navigation) but to do this you need to know DVD specs. (Example jumping from a movie to ANY MENU on the disc is not a one step process, there are domains that you need to jump out of before you can jump into another.

So once again, more user friendly and more professional are not going in the same direction.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 1, 2009 at 9:28:29 pm

Actually Scenarist 3 is around $7,000 now. They drastically dropped the priced since no one was buying them anymore. :)

Jessica....its important to learn how DVD technology works before you decided what is "professional" and what is not. Read this book and this website if you really want to know the technology. When you understand all this, I think you will find that DVDSP will provide all you need.

http://www.amazon.com/DVD-Authoring-Production-Ralph-LaBarge/dp/1578200822/...

http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/

What kind of features does DVDSP not provide for you?

Another tool to check out is DVD Lab Pro:

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dvdlabpro.html

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 2, 2009 at 7:40:15 am

SD DVD has pretty much been frozen application wise. Not much happening. I remember now getting an email a long time ago about the pricing. I got over the Sonic boat with Creator on the Mac.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 2, 2009 at 8:15:08 am

Yeah that boat left long ago! Ahhh...I remember the good old days before DVDSP 1/2. :)

Return to posts index

Jessica Berryman
on Oct 2, 2009 at 12:58:29 pm

Thanks Eric! I will definitely check these books out and do more research into these programs.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 2, 2009 at 8:40:09 pm

Another site and book to buy:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/

But just a warning - make sure you know what you're getting into before you buy Scenarist. It will takes years to FULLY master.

Return to posts index

Jessica Berryman
on Oct 2, 2009 at 9:13:10 pm

Thank you. Yeah, after reading all of the handy comments I have realized that if we do decide to go the route of Scenarist then we will probably consider hiring a professional on that unit. Thank you so much though. It's always good to learn about the options and the pros and cons of everything. You all have been a huge help to me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]