FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD is Cropping and is Choppy

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Karnetsky
DVD is Cropping and is Choppy
on Sep 22, 2009 at 6:37:49 am

I have been editing a movie (121 min) in 1440 x 1080 using Sony Vegas. I rendered it out to a WMV (7.4GB) and burned it with Nero Vision.

It plays fine on the computer so I tried it in my DVD player (connected via AVI to a widescreen TV) and the left and right side are cropped a little bit. I then popped it in my Xbox 360 (connected via HDMI to my widescreen TV) and the video was not cropped on the left or right side but the playback was REALLY choppy. Tried it in a different Xbox 360 (connected via AVI) and it was cropped and choppy.

What am I doing wrong and is WMV the best way to render out it seems to have a smaller file size than AVI.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kelly Karnetsky
Re: DVD is Cropping and is Choppy
on Sep 23, 2009 at 2:23:27 am

Nevermind, I got it, screwed up with 1.2 pixel ratio.

Return to posts index

Kelly Karnetsky
on Sep 24, 2009 at 5:41:42 am

Ok it is still cropping the video on the left and right side. Used Vegas to export with the DVD Architect template at 720 x 480 MPEG-2 file. The file plays fine on the computer with no cropping but when it's playing on a DVD player it get's cropped.

Any help would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Sep 24, 2009 at 8:49:38 pm

Right, avoid wmv when making a dvd - go straight to mpeg2
In your dvd program u flag your clip to display 4X3 or widescreen or pan and scan. This is where you'll probably need to make an adjustment.
If you play SD 4X3 video on a HD widescreen TV something has to alter.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Kelly Karnetsky
on Sep 24, 2009 at 11:28:59 pm

The video is 16x9 I flag it in Vegas that it is 16x9 and also when burning it to DVD with Nero Vision.

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
on Sep 25, 2009 at 1:26:21 am

Kelly,

You must flag the video as 16:9 in the DVD authoring program. For example, using DVD Studio Pro, you select the track in which you'll place this video asset, go to the Inspector panel, and select the dropdown to say "16:9 Letterbox." The video in that track will now be displayed to fill the width of a widescreen monitor, and letterboxed on a 4:3 tv set—basically, it horizontally fills whatever display it finds, and letterboxes as needed.

I hope that the choppiness you observed improved with encoding to MPEG-2 in Vegas itself. If not, welcome to the art of DVD authoring! You'll have to use trial-and-error to find the settings which will produce the video quality you desire.

Christopher Smith

CBN WorldReach

Return to posts index

Kelly Karnetsky
on Sep 25, 2009 at 6:45:56 am

Well I figured out that the chopping off was because the titles that we had started before the title safe area and actually the action safe area too.

I saw those thing but just didn't think about standard def when editing. Now that I found out what it was then it all made since.

I will try the render in just MPEG-2 to see if that fixes the choppiness.

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]