FORUMS: list search recent posts

Enhanced 16x9 Encoding Software

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Douglas
Enhanced 16x9 Encoding Software
on Sep 15, 2009 at 7:57:17 pm

Hi All,

I've been reading through these forums for a couple days now. Learning about the encoding software options, and the hardware options.

Here's the task I've been given:

Find a way to create a very high quality 16x9 enhanced DVD. So that it'll play out a high quality picture on a 16x9 HDTV.

I'm on an 8 Core Mac Pro with FCS 3, CS3 and now with the BitVice demo, heh.

The problem is that I can't seem to get anything to come out of these that burn to a quality level that I've been asked to deliver.

So here is my question: So is there anyway to get that high of a quality image out of BitVice or Compressor?

I've been using DVD Studio Pro to author the test dvd's. Generally dropping the m2v file into dvdsp, throwing the first play onto it, building, then formatting to an img file, then using disk utility to burn the dvd.

A secondary, I've almost given up on the Mac solution question, is it even worth the time and effort to figure out a Mac solution, or am I better served to delve into the PC world of encoders, as we have one or two pc's here at the office.

Any help would be great, any links to tutorials, info, anything that can lead me to the pot of gold would be amazing.

Scott

--------------------

check my stuff out at http://scottkdouglas.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Enhanced 16x9 Encoding Software
on Sep 15, 2009 at 8:22:34 pm

I get fine results encoding with Compressor when coming from a high quality 16:9 anamorphic source. But at the end of the day, it is SD DVD, there's only so much you can do.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 15, 2009 at 9:31:07 pm

Yeah, no such thing as "Enhanced" 16:9.

But what most people don't realize that quality does not start with the encode, it ends there. If you are starting with DV footage, all you can hope for is a good encode, it will never be great. Is your footage color corrected? Is it clean and sharp? Video noise, soft focus and video without deep blacks and shallow contrast range are killers for m2v encoding.

Return to posts index

Scott Douglas
on Sep 16, 2009 at 1:56:25 pm

Right now I'm not sure of the footage, but the tvc that I believe we'll need to put on the DVD was shot on 35mm, what kind of file I'll be receiving is another story that no one can get me details on apparently.

I have previous tvcs that were shot in DVCPro 720p and 1080i that I've been trying to work with getting it into a very high quality SD DVD image.

Should I go for BitVice or stick with Compressor? Or go into the PC route, my main question is how to get the best possible image quality that a SD DVD can have.

Scott

--------------------

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 16, 2009 at 5:09:28 pm

Quality encodes is an art form, there are basic principals that have been covered time and time again. With the tools at this level it is mostly a matter of testing bitrates and a few filters.

For the basic go a search, for the art you have to practice. There is no easy button on art.

There is also CinemaCraft MP for the Mac, it is very reasonable and very highend but once again to get the most, practice is needed.

Return to posts index

Scott Douglas
on Sep 16, 2009 at 6:09:58 pm

Thanks Michael,

From your responses in various posts, it seems as though you are well versed on compressor and I would imagine the CinemaCraft MP as well, would you suggest the CC MP be worth the money or would you suggest to simply continue to trial/error with Compressor?

Scott

--------------------

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 16, 2009 at 6:21:37 pm

actually don't have CCMP, plan to get it but there are a couple of other things I'm looking at in the BluRay arena, but I buy when I need something.

If I were encoding stuff that was shot on film and well finished I really would look into a highend encoder like CCMP. But with everything testing is King. Compressor is an art, if you want good pressing a button with a stock setting is fine, if you want great, when then the art kicks in. Unfortunately clients are fine with good and refuse to pay for the artist, so they get the best good can offer.

Might want to try BitVice also, it is on sale right now.
http://www.innobits.com/ssl/n_sp_bsummer.php

Return to posts index

Scott Douglas
on Sep 16, 2009 at 6:38:59 pm

Thanks for the help and the info Michael.

Reading through all the posts when I search the forum and online in general, I've been learning a lot about the depths that one can get into when delving into the DVD encoding/authoring process. It definitely is an art once you reach that higher end level. I really appreciate your help in this regard.

All the best,

Scott

Scott

--------------------

Return to posts index

Connie Simmons
on Nov 9, 2009 at 6:43:37 pm

HI. I have a series shot on a Sony F900 and edited in uncompressed HD and also Prores HQ. I have had the footage encoded using Sonic hardware encode with Scenarist, and software encodes with CinemaCraftMP, BitVice and Compressor. While they all give decent encodes - the Scenarist hardware encode seemed to my eye to be the best, I am still searching for a better result. I've read that Studio movies are encoded using a Toshiba priority encoding system, and I wonder if any post house has this kind of encoding system?

Any thoughts?

Best, Connie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]