FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Studio Pro vs. Encore - Taking Poll

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
DVD Studio Pro vs. Encore - Taking Poll
on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:09:45 am

Hey Guys,

Taking a poll...I work between Encore and DVDSP...I like aspects of both, but Encore wins for me...largely because of Blu-ray (even though I don't currently use it) But also becuase of the the "check project" option...I like that. DVDSP is a bit cryptic when it comes to build...Encore is straight forward...build disc, folder, or image...I still don't fully understand DVDSP's build options.

So...quick poll...which one, and 5 reasons for your choice.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD Studio Pro vs. Encore - Taking Poll
on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:52:15 am

DVDSP
1) I own it
2) I know it
3) It does everything I need it to do (what it doesn't I tweak in DVDAfterEdit, which is not much)

[Jason Brown] "DVDSP is a bit cryptic when it comes to build"
What is cryptic about hitting Build/Format and pushing in the disc when it ask for it and unloading it when it spits it out.

And it wins because it has a feature you don't even use? Now that is funny.

But everyone should use what they have and what they know, if it cannot do what you need then look for something else. If it does what you need, relax a bit and don't worry what's on the other side of the fence. Just my 2 cents.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Sep 15, 2009 at 2:59:57 pm

Well..Blu-ray is a feature I plan to be using in the next 6 months if we continue to move the way we're headed.

I own both...have the need to work on both because sometimes I'm tweaking what vendors provide us...both encore and DVDSP.

I'm just wanting to know what people feel about these products. I know what my frustrations and workflows are...I'd just like to know what other people are using.

ie - In DVDSP, you can create a DVD without an end play action set for a title...there's no way to check before build that all titles have end actions...but that will create a DVD that isn't compatible with the DVD standard when sent to the duplicator. How does DVDSP help prevent that? Encore has "check project"

as far as format and build - maybe I just need to read the manual more in depth...

Burn / Build / Format / Build-Format

Why 4 different options? I don't understand...because with build-format, I can burn a disc with the destination field...then what do you use burn for? That is a bit confusing...always has been for me.

Maybe you could explain it...

-Jason

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 15, 2009 at 6:23:08 pm

In DVDSP
Burn = makes a temporary VideoTS folder that is delete after the Format is done, no access to settings before you make the disc (IMO this should never be used)

Build = just builds the Video TS folder so the project can be proofed with a software player or the files can be used in Toast or moved to another system to burn discs. Once you do this only the changes will need to be updated, so on big projects this saves time.

Build/Format = builds video TS folder and then burns the disc, gives you access to all the format settings before it starts. This the one step process and if you make changes only the changes will need to be updated on the build part.

Format = if you have already performed a Build and want to burn a disc. The danger of this is if you made a change to the project and not done a build it will burn the updated version.

I use Build/Format 99% of the time when burning one-offs but you Build to proof projects at some stage, then if I need to make multiple copies of the disc I use format to make copies 2-X.

A Check Project would be great but no disc going to replication that has not been tested in software and hardware players for navigation errors. I would never trust a "Check Project" to be a finish say. It will find valuations but it will not find the VTS jumps to menu 3 when it should jump to menu 2.

And I'm not putting down Encore, if you have it and like it use it. If you like DVDSP use it, or better yet use both, the lack of a "Check Disc" is not a reason to not use DVDSP IMO, if you need BluRay you now have Toast, Encore and Compressor to make one offs. So which ever one gives you what you need use that. If you need to real BD authoring you need to move up to DoStudio.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Sep 15, 2009 at 6:54:06 pm

Not to sound like a know it all or elitist.... :)

I will always give credit where credit is due...but...there's not a person in the world who knows the real ins an outs of DVD and its production practices that would say Encore is a good authoring tool.

It lacks many features such as scripting and the ability to output DDP files....thats just for starters

It integration with other Adobe apps is nothing but a gimmick really once you learn how a DVD is structured. Just my opinion though...if you and your clients like Encore stay with it.

As far as BD goes, Encore fails again. It's encoder is horrible, its buggy, its pop menu system only allows one page...very odd :) If your serious about BD then its better to move on to a tool like Do Studio. BD isn't DVD (not even close) so don't treat it as such. Do your homework on the technology before offering this service or you will get bit!!

Return to posts index

Raymond Wolters
on May 12, 2010 at 4:34:27 pm

I am a die hard Mac product guy and I get constantly annoyed with DVDSP. I am not familiar enough with Encore to make a direct comparison, but I don't know how many times I have built a DVD in SP, used the simulator to check all my links, burned the DVD and it doesn't act correct. The other day I ran my video through Compressor to create an MPEG2 file for SP and it didn't even recognize the file! Assuming I did something wrong I wen back and checked all my setting in Compressor and ran it again ... still nothing. So I dragged the same file into Encore, it recognized it and worked great! I am not saying Encore is the answer, but SP does WAY too many weird things like that for me to feel comfortable with it. Is there a third option out there people?

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Sep 17, 2009 at 1:01:06 pm

I have used both and I also choose Encore for the following reasons:

1. Far superior integration with Adobe Photoshop for customizing buttons and menus
2. Much easier way of creating scene selection menus with animated buttons, especially when using the Chapter Index feature.
3. Blu-ray support with Pop-up Menus
4. Has a more logical way of doing things that is consistent with other Adobe Applications and the way I would expect them to be done.
5. Works so well that I built a business around using the application. My motion menu template products also work with DVD Studio Pro and other authoring applications, but I recommend using Encore.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]