FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual Layer Break Point Problem

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Leong
Dual Layer Break Point Problem
on Sep 11, 2009 at 11:28:12 pm

I'm burning a DVD that uses up almost all of the disc space on a DVD+R DL. I made sure the size fits on the DVD but the problem is I can't seem to figure out where to put the dual layer break point. I understand that layer 1 has to fill up as much as possible before burning layer 2, and that a chapter marker must be placed precisely in order for DVDSP to create that break point automatically. I just can't figure out where to put it.

I've tried creating the break point manually approximating just more than half of the data, but that didn't work. I read somewhere in the DVDSP manual that you can approximate this by the way the VTS folders are set up in the outline. This will tell you which track and approximately where on the track to place the marker. How exact does this have to be?? Would I just throw in a bunch of markers around that area and see which one hits?? This sounds like a LONG work around for what may have a simpler solution.

I've been able to burn hundreds of DL DVDs in the past with no problem but this particular DVD is quite a bit larger and would fit very snuggly onto a DL DVD. I think the image is around 7.5GB total. Does anyone know of a work around for this? I've searched the COW for "dual layer break point" and "locating break point" and "manually setting break point" with no luck.

I've already compressed the videos quite a bit and would not want to compress them anymore. All of my audio are .ac3. Any help is greatly appreciated.

~aaron

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Dual Layer Break Point Problem
on Sep 12, 2009 at 6:53:48 am

Don't know what you search on but "Layer Break" produced answers - but here what I posted before.

The easiest way that I have found to find valid layer break chapters.

When all the DVD assets are in the project. Do a Build with layer break set to Automatic. Then do a Build/Format go to the Disc/Volume tab and click on the Layer Break drop down menu, all the valid chapters will be in black, write down all the valid chapter markers and then cancel the process. Make one of the valid chapters the actual layer break and you will be good to go.

If there are no valid chapter markers you need to add some to get the range. The order video (or slideshows) fall on the DVD is the order they are placed into the project (not into the asset bin). It will always be around to 1/2 way mark. All menus (1st GB at least) will be in the VTS 1. This is always true unless you manually change this.

Return to posts index

Aaron Leong
on Sep 13, 2009 at 3:35:11 pm

Hi Michael,

Sorry, I suppose I was trying to be too specific with the search. In any case, thank you for your help!

Michael, there are no valid chapters upon the build/format request. Because its such a tight fit, I'm assuming in order to find the close-to-exact 1/2 way point of all of the tracks on the DVD one would add up the size of all of the media and just add a bunch of chapter markers around that area to see which one shows up black in the build/format request?

Just confirming I would add up the tracks and menus in order according to the "by VTS" tab?

Michael, you've been a tremendous help! Thank you!

~aaron

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 15, 2009 at 9:53:54 pm

The fuller the DVD the smaller the valid range will be, so you need to put a ton of chapter points which you think the break should be. Don't worry about where they fall since you will delete them later. What you are looking for is a range, hopefully you can get a few to be valid and then you find the exact spot you can live with the pause, make that the break point and then delete all the others.

I will say this is one thing that I think is missing from this and many authoring apps. I never want the program to use auto and to not have a button to find the valid layer break range it ridiculous IMO. THis is the one feature I have been asking for since DVDSP v2.

Return to posts index

Aaron Leong
on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:18:35 am

I completely agree. Having a feature like that would resolve a lot of headache!! Thank you for your help Michael. I actually thought of adding 1 marker at a time until a valid break point showed up, but thought there might be an easier solution. I didn't know you could check the disc/volume to see the valid markers. That helps tremendously!!! Better than building and finding out every time I try to format!! BTW, found my break point and DVD burned just fine.

Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!

~aaron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]