FORUMS: list search recent posts

Forcing DVDSP to target alternate video streams

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Welker
Forcing DVDSP to target alternate video streams
on Sep 5, 2009 at 12:40:09 am

Hi! I'm creating a multi-language DVD project in DVDSP 4 that plays in English, French, Spanish, German, Japanese, Cantonese, and Mandarin. I've got 2 main tracks, one containing the complete English version with all titles, supers, end credits, etc. and then another track with a single 'multi-language' version of the complete program where the English titles and supers were removed, and then that's assigned to play along with whichever subtitle/audio streams in the users language of choice. All good up to here.

Now we get to the end credits. I've created the end credits in each alternate language, via Motion, and exported each as their own .m2v video file which I've assigned to alternate video streams in the 'multi-language' track, so what I want to do is force playback to select the alt stream that corresponds to the selected language when the multi-language master ends and is ready to play the credits. Am I making sense? Is this actually possible to do? Or is there another way to cheat it? I could also feasibly create a new track for each version of the credits, but again, I'm not sure how to force playback to target the appropriate track once main movie playback has ended.

I'm willing to bet I could somehow write scripts to deal with this, but I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around that process.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Forcing DVDSP to target alternate video streams
on Sep 5, 2009 at 9:22:10 pm

this is very doable, takes a bit of scripting and thinking through the process. I would make a each credit roll s separate track that then set an end jump script to figure out which one to play back, as long as there is a fade to black and fade down of the audio this should seem pretty seamless to the viewer.

Return to posts index

Mike Welker
on Sep 6, 2009 at 11:48:54 pm

Thanks, Michael - I figured a script or 2 would be the way to pull this off. After doing plenty of googling and reading today, I'm pretty sure I've got the whole concept figured out, but what I still can't figure out is how to get the script to respond to whatever language/subtitle stream is selected at the start of playback. Anyone have some insight on this? Or is there a tutorial online anywhere that could help out?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
on Sep 18, 2009 at 1:25:11 am

[Mike Welker] "I still can't figure out is how to get the script to respond to whatever language/subtitle stream is selected at the start of playback."

You write a script ("script B") & point the end jump of the main movie to script B. You must also write Script A, which is the target of each of your menu buttons. So, viewer clicks on "English Movie" button, and it goes to Script A, which sets a variable to 1. That "1" signifies "English audio with subtitles." Then it sends the player to the English movie.

If the viewer clicks on button "French movie," it goes to Script A which sets the variable to 2, and then plays the movie with French subtitles and audio.

Script B simply looks to see what the variable is set to, and sends the player to the appropriate credit roll track based on that number.

Christopher Smith

CBN WorldReach

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]