FORUMS: list search recent posts

help! - shaky video played from DVD image

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Cooney
help! - shaky video played from DVD image
on Sep 4, 2009 at 4:48:55 pm

Hi. I exported an mov from FCP with various compression settings. Animation, H.262 and DV/DVCPRO. My content looks best for the animation and H.264 settings. The DV/DCPRO shakes a little as the intro and outro have animation that is wiggling. I wnet to compressor with the Animation compressed file because it looked great. Then I burnt it. But when I played the disc image back it was shaking again. Any solutions to this problem?

The portion of the movie that is shaking is an animation with graphic elements exported with Animation codec from Apple Motion and imported into a DVNTSC timeline in final cut pro to join with the rest of the content - which is ntsc video. Then the timeline is exported as Quicktime video with custom setting set to animation compression. Looks great -even after I run it through compressor in Apple DVD 90minute mode. But as soon as it goes to disc using DVD Studio Pro.. it shakes again...

help! :-)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: help! - shaky video played from DVD image
on Sep 4, 2009 at 4:57:26 pm

Arg- how many times do I have to see this same mistake. H.264 is for web video not for DVD masters. Use uncompressed or ProRes HQ or just encode directly to MPEG2. All the other codecs you mentioned have no place whatsoever in DVD authoring.

I'd guess the 'shaky' stuff is an interlacing issue. Either the whole video needs to be interlaced or the whole video needs to be progressive.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Sep 4, 2009 at 5:14:15 pm

no i didn't initially use H.264.. just trying everything.

I exported the animation content from Apple Motion using it's default animation codec. Then I imported that into a FCP timeline in DVNTSC.. it asked me if I wanted ot convert the file to match the timeline and I did. It looks great exporting as apple pro res ... but once it gets burned it looks like crap.. not sure how to fix this issue.. I tried settign the export compressor settings to progressive, but it didn't help..

Brian

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 4, 2009 at 5:41:23 pm

I will lay odds that you are not monitoring your FCP timeline out to a Monitor/TV. The first time that this is viewed on a TV is the DVD, would this be correct?

The problem is you are just pushing buttons and hoping things will get fixed, example H264. In doing so you can only mask the problem instead of correct the problem.

[Brian Cooney] " it asked me if I wanted ot convert the file to match the timeline"
Never seen this in FCP, it does ask if you want to change the sequence (Timeline) to match the clip but not clip to match the timeline. There is a big difference here.

If you are bring in the motion file I would export it out to match your timeline. Then you export QT at current settings and self contained, then you encode the m2v. If your timeline is lower field first your m2v needs to be the same. Don't mix and match field dominance throughout the workflow, keep it the same.

Be unless you are monitoring the FCP timeline to a TV you will never no if the Motion graphics are good. Editing without an external monitor is editing 1/2 blind, and yes I know a lot of people do it that way, which is fine but a lot of these people have the same problem you are having.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Sep 4, 2009 at 5:50:49 pm

thanks. but no I am monitoring it on the same Mac... I just exported the graphic content from Apple motion again using the same codes as the final cut pro timeline. I exported form the timeline as quicktime movie with current settings and it is still waking out as I view the export..

Brian

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Sep 4, 2009 at 6:11:09 pm

could it be an aspect thing? I've tried squae pixels, upper and lower and no fields dominance... I'm exporting as 3:2 720x480.. ..?

thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 4, 2009 at 7:56:18 pm

wrong aspect will distort it will not add a shake.

So if your timeline in FCP plays out to a monitor (what type of monitor and how is video being feed to it.

[Brian Cooney] "I've tried squae pixels, upper and lower and no fields dominance..."
Square has nothing to do with field dominance, the wrong field dominance is most likely the problem, Where it is happening is the question.

So you do NOT have a external monitor?
Then you need to check your entire workflow, somewhere you are swapping the field order.

A quick fix would be to choose progressive in Compressor for the m2v, then under Frames tab, turn on Frame Control, set to deinterlace. See if that calms it down. The problem with doing that you soften the image of everything but it you are just trying to get this out it would be okay.

The problem with just trying all these this is if you are not carefully documenting what each step is and doing them in some order you will not have learned anything, expect maybe how to cover up the real mistake, which is what my above suggest does.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Sep 4, 2009 at 8:07:24 pm

thank! I htink I am totally tracking withya.. I need to figure out what the default field dominance is with an animation codec out of Apple Motion. I looked but can't seem to find.. but will try. Maybe my animation and my video content's field dominance is swapped.. yeah... it could have happened anywhere along the line ... there were several exports.. it may have happened somewhere along the way..

thanks for the help..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]