FORUMS: list search recent posts

DDP 2.0 vs DVD DL Masters for Replication

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melanie Jaquess
DDP 2.0 vs DVD DL Masters for Replication
on Sep 3, 2009 at 9:46:46 pm

We switched from DLTs for DVD-9 masters to burning each layer to DVD-R for submission to our replicator when our Quantum started going south about a year ago. This has been working just fine for us and I don't necessarily intend to change our workflow at this time. However, we are working with a third party that is unable to provide the DDP 2.0 format to our replicator. Our replicator has now said that a DVD-DL disc would be an acceptable master. We are just wondering if this process is as stable as the DDP 2.0 and if so, what are the benefits of sticking to our current workflow if any.

Thanks!

Melanie Jaquess

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DDP 2.0 vs DVD DL Masters for Replication
on Sep 4, 2009 at 2:42:32 pm

I would say that DVD DL are the lest stable way of delivering a master for replications. They will fail more than anything else. But they are acceptable.

If time is important, I would always send the DDP files, in fact I would always send DDP files.

But if the client can only send a DVD DL and the replicator will accept it then go with it but I would tell the client that it is not your recommendation.

Return to posts index

Melanie Jaquess
on Sep 4, 2009 at 5:50:11 pm

Thanks. That's our position at the moment. We were just surprised that our replicator, and many others according to a google search, now take DVD DL masters whereas a year or 2 ago almost no one did. It made us wonder if something had changed to make them more reliable.

Melanie Jaquess

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Sep 4, 2009 at 6:49:16 pm

I would not say that DVD DL masters are any more reliable now than in times past, but they are more readily available and easy to burn in house as a "master," which has put pressure on replicators to accept them. Before last year, almost every DVD9 replication project we did came to us on DLTs, now we see about equal parts DVD DL. I always recommend to our clients not using DVD DL and ask if they can output to DDP2.0 files. The majority just didn't know that was an option, so they are happy to once I explain the process. If we have someone who insists on using a DVD DL as a master to go to replication with, we always try to insist on creating a check disc before proceeding with the full project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]