FORUMS: list search recent posts

Procoder to encode..wrong colors.

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jose Skaf
Procoder to encode..wrong colors.
on Aug 31, 2009 at 9:45:07 pm

I would really appreciate the gelp on this. I cant seem to fix it on my own..

OK, after deciding to go with Procoder 3 to encode from Avid´s HD codec DNxHD to SD mpeg2 for a DVD, I cant get a good quality mpeg2 .

A bit of background: I need to do the best quality DVD possible from a Project I cutted in Avid. The final result is a Quicktime referente form Avid that references the DNxHD media inside the project. (HD footage)

NOw…. I did lots of test and most of my problems come in the form of wrong Black levels or color. I would either get washwed out blacks (whit CCE or Squeeze) rersults or too much contrast (all this depending on how I export from Avid (601 or RGB.)

So I found that by using Procoder, and choosing a filter called "Safe Broadcast color Safe" that comes with Procoder, I get the closest to the original colors and contrast…but…here is the problema: I get great image quality with Procoder 3 (good quality but way to much ocntrast and saturation) but if I use any filtes like this obe to try to fix this, the final quality goes down a lot!! (much more pixelated images)
Am I doing something wrong when appliying the “Broadcast Color safe” filter in Procoder???

can anyone help me out with this
thanks in advance!!!!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Procoder to encode..wrong colors.
on Sep 1, 2009 at 4:37:17 pm

I don't use the software you are so I'm only going to address a couple of things.

Broadcast Safe filter, it only makes sure chrominance and luminance are within legal limits, so it a highlight is too bright it clamps it down, but anything under the limit is not touched. Same goes for color saturation, if it is too bright it will get clamped down, But it will not make any changes to any chrominance and luminance within the legal limits, so no bringing down the blacks. At least the filter is not suppose to do that. So there is nothing wrong with applying the filter per se, some people would rather fix the out of limit video by handle for control.

But I would ask, are you color correcting your footage before encoding it? Are you viewing the video on an external monitor in your edit system? Are you getting different results viewing the DVD on a PC vs TV, are you viewing it on a Mac?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]