FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to recover Subtitles from DVD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Dobovan
How to recover Subtitles from DVD?
on Aug 11, 2009 at 2:56:32 am

Hi:

I have an old DVD project that I'm trying to update but I've long since lost the project files. All I have is an old master. Is there some simple way to recover the subtitle files from the TS folder? How about the menu files?

TIA,
John D.

Return to posts index

Chris Linke
Re: How to recover Subtitles from DVD?
on Aug 11, 2009 at 3:58:48 pm

SubRip is a freeware program that will rip subtitles from an existing DVD. It can create four-color subpicture graphic files and generate a text file with the timecodes for each graphic. The text files can be made compatible with different DVD authoring systems. SubRip can also perform OCR if you need the actual text of the subtitles.

As for "menu files," what exactly do you mean? SubRip can extract the menus' subpicture overlays, since they're just like subtitles. If you mean extracting the video backgrounds themselves, MPEG Streamclip is a good tool for that.

Chris Linke
PRC Digital Media
http://www.prcdigital.com

Return to posts index

John Dobovan
Re: How to recover Subtitles from DVD?
on Aug 11, 2009 at 4:10:50 pm

Oops. Should have been more specific - I'm on a Mac platform. SubRip looks useful for Windows users but won't help me.

As for the menu, I've tried using MPEG Streamclip to pull out the custom backgrounds but it only gives me the last one. I can see the first and have tried several methods but they all come with the last one only. Very strange.

Thanks,
J.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]