FORUMS: list search recent posts

dealing with gamma across TV and computer

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blase Theodore
dealing with gamma across TV and computer
on Aug 6, 2009 at 7:09:47 pm

My workflow for DVD authoring has always been picture approval on external monitor, M2V via compressor, DVDSP. The resulting DVD's look right on both TV's and computer monitors set to gamma 2.2.

My client is worried that the DVD's look fine on TV but don't look right when played back on his mac. I assume its because his monitor is set to gamma 1.8 like most people's macs are, but I'm hesitant to explain it away as a technical issue with no solution. (Obviously re-encoding it with a gamma push would fix this, but cause it to look bad on TV's.)

1. Why is it that commercial DVD9's don't exhibit this shift?
2. Is there a flag or metadata setting in DVDSP that can tell the Mac to play the DVD at 2.2 gamma?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Blase Theodore
(email notification)
on Aug 6, 2009 at 7:15:47 pm

[2nd post added to enable email notification]
[mods, there is no EDIT function to allow email notification after post submission. Thanks.]

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: (email notification)
on Aug 7, 2009 at 2:59:57 pm

That's how it is- if he has a problem tell him to reset his gamma for TV and mention that in the upcoming version of Snow Leopard- it is like that by default.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Blase Theodore
on Aug 7, 2009 at 9:29:34 pm

So you're saying that any DVD played on a mac computer that shipped from a mac store is played back with the wrong default gamma setting?

That seems like a glaring oversight. Are you sure about this?

I had read on another forum that DVD Player plays media at the gamma at which it was created. If this was true, then there is some level of metadata thats triggering DVD Player.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 7, 2009 at 11:35:01 pm

Nope there is no such thing as gamma metadata. The gamma setting of the computer is what it is.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 7, 2009 at 11:44:54 pm

[Blase Theodore] "So you're saying that any DVD played on a mac computer that shipped from a mac store is played back with the wrong default gamma setting? "

If Apple does it it is not WRONG!

:-) Watched Frost/Nixon last night and that quoted came to mind.

Return to posts index

Blase Theodore
on Aug 8, 2009 at 12:54:53 am

LOL ok well thanks for the replies guys.

Blase Theodore

When I don't understand something in Color, I have faith that everything in life happens for a reason. Then I trash preferences.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]