FORUMS: list search recent posts

looking for the best burning settings for 2hrs of Standard Definition DV

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marek Kowolik
looking for the best burning settings for 2hrs of Standard Definition DV
on Aug 5, 2009 at 12:00:07 am

Hi,

I'm sure many use Toast for burning the final product, and since I'm still inexperience with using Toast to burn DVDs, so I do not have a "feel" yet for the burning quality settings... and looking for the best burning settings for 2hrs of Standard Definition DV home movie (in full quality Quick Time DV file).
I noticed that the material burned using "Automatic" settings is looking less desirably than while using manual with higher "MAXIMUM" and higher "AVERAGE" values, like 8 or 9, but then I also learned that setting those too high may cause the reading errors in people's DVD players.
Thus the question for you - experienced Toast's burners:

- at what maximum value should one set the"MAXIMUM" and the"AVERAGE" values for 1-hr and/or (if different) 2-hrs of the Standard Definition material, so it will fit on just one regular single layer DVD, and will look possibly the best, with an error-free playback on people's DVD players?
(I will set the audio at compressed 320 kbps in order to gain some extra room for the video's quality... but at what settings?)

Please help, if your burning and then playing back experiences are positive, or PLEASE - let me know about some pitfalls that I might be not aware of. Thank you.

marek

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: looking for the best burning settings for 2hrs of Standard Definition DV
on Aug 5, 2009 at 4:35:33 am

Toast is about the worst there is for making quality looking DVDs- might want to move up to something like iDVD or DVDSP.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Marek Kowolik
on Aug 6, 2009 at 3:18:31 am

Thank you, B U T - Is it really that Toast is about the worst there is? I thought - after skipping/freezing problems with DVDs burned using iDVD08 - that I AM moving up when I bought Toast10 lately... hmm - why? In what sense iDVD would be better? and - why such a low opinion regarding Toast?

marek

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 6, 2009 at 2:41:29 pm

Well personally I use DVDSP, but I'd still group Toast after iDVD in terms of usable quality for authoring. Great burning but lousy authoring.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Aug 13, 2009 at 1:12:59 pm

Hi,

PC user here, but DVD settings will be the same. Adobe has a good formula for figuring the data rate - use 560/minutes to get the video encoding rate. So, 560/120 = 4.66, and I just round down a bit to make sure there is room for menus and such, so call it 4.5 then.

Regarding Dolby audio, 224 is more than sufficient, 320 will take up more space and any quality gains would be hard to notice.

For programs of an hour or less, I'll go with 7.0 video data rate. Yes, you can go higher, but the issues you mentioned with playback could pop up, and frankly, no one would ever see the difference between 7 and 8.

You will also have a choice of CBR (Constant Bit Rate) or VBR (Variable Bit Rate) encoding. I've always used CBR, unless working with a very long program like 2.5-3 hours. Provides a more consistent quality and smooth playback on any deck.

As for quality issues mentioned with certain Apple encoding apps, can't comment, using PC myself, but I never have any issues with DVDs I send out, and I usually do over a thousand dubs a year from many different programs I author, from wedding and events to corporate.

Hope this info is helpful

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]