FORUMS: list search recent posts

set top DVD recorder...need to create play and stop DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
set top DVD recorder...need to create play and stop DVD
on Jul 27, 2009 at 12:14:41 pm

Hey Guys,

I want to play out of my timeline and record via a set-top DVD recorder. I need to finalize the disc to play the title when inserted and then stop afterwards. I don't want the disc to display a menu. I've used the Toshiba D-R4SU for years, but I can only find it on the used market now.

Anyone using any other DVD recorders that have this function?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: set top DVD recorder...need to create play and stop DVD
on Jul 27, 2009 at 12:23:23 pm

Why not just author?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jul 27, 2009 at 12:54:35 pm

These are TC window dubs that I create all the time. Our current workflow is digitizing footage...laying TC filter in FCP...then exporting mpeg2.

When if I had DVD recorder...I could dub with timecode overlay from our DV deck right to the DVD recorder.

Kick is...it needs to start playing immediately and can't come up with a stock looking menu.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 27, 2009 at 2:01:57 pm

I imagine something like that exists but you know you can apply a TC filter right in Compressor and at low quality levels it would be a faster than real-time encode. It sounds like your workflow could use a bit of tweaking to take advantage of the current tech. You could even program Compressor to watch a folder for DV files and automatically encode them with frame accurate timecode- the other way you won't have that very well. Playout to a DVD recorder is sort of a workaround that may be adding more trouble than it's worth.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jul 27, 2009 at 2:18:33 pm

I didn't know about the TC overlay in compressor. Does that TC start at 0:00:00 from the beginning of the clip? Or referenced to the media from FCP?

Here's an example of what happens - I record 1 hour of footage. Provide TC dub to project manager. They give me 4 x 30 second clips that they want compiled onto DVD or in video formats.

Now, I digitize 2 minutes of footage and can leave the other 58 minutes off my drives.

That's where a DVD recorder makes sense in my workflow.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 27, 2009 at 2:52:59 pm

Well it depends what you need. In Compressor the TC filter can either start at zero or reference the timecode of the QuickTime media. It doesn't seem to take into account the TC of the timeline within FCP though.

But if you do need a very specific timecode per clip you could trim in FCP and apply the TC generator filter there, where you can set exactly where it starts. Then send to Compressor only the edit points you need to have on DVD. In FCP 7 you even have background Compressor encoding so you could setup your sequence with the TC burns and fire off to Compressor and keep cutting.

Once the encodes are done, drop them into a pre-built DVDSP project with video track set to firstplay and burn. That should take less than a minute to author with the rendered MPEG-2 and AC3 audio from Compressor.

That's much better than managing a DV deck and a DVD recorder manually for length of program. And you'll end up with much better quality too.

Noah

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jul 27, 2009 at 3:12:20 pm

working in compressor v3...I can't find the TC enable function. All I can find is a check box for "Choose start timecode" ...then I can manually adjust up from 00:00:00

Is this just available in the new FCS3?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 27, 2009 at 8:17:56 pm

It's a filter. Once you have a clip to encode to MPEG2 loaded, switch to the Inspector Window and click on the Filters tab- it looks like two frames on top of each other. Then scroll down on the Video tab until you see the Timecode Generator filter and click to enable it. You can customize position, color, font and timecode souce- either 0 or QT media's TC.

-Noah

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jul 27, 2009 at 8:24:46 pm

sorry, I found it once I posted that.

At first I couldn't get it, because there weren't any filters availble. But I was clicked on the audio output module...not video.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully the new FCS3 will update to reference TC from the original source clip, not the QT media. Or at least keying the tc overlay won't require rendering the whole thing!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 27, 2009 at 9:57:26 pm

It doesn't but you know you can set in/out points in Compressor. Or any trims you make in FCP can be sent directly to Compressor. Or you can simple export a reference file with the TC built-in within FCP and then go right into Compressor with that.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]