FORUMS: list search recent posts

archiving DVDs to SDHC cards - is it safe?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaanus Henno
archiving DVDs to SDHC cards - is it safe?
on Jul 26, 2009 at 4:40:50 pm

Hi,
I always archived my dvds on the disks, but now since sdhc cards are getting really cheap, I'm considering to just buy 32gb cards and copy my projects there. But I'm having this question that is it safe enough for archiving, do they go "bad" over time or is there anything else to consider? What could be the easiest, fastest and cheap way to archive dvds?

Regards,
Jaanus

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: archiving DVDs to SDHC cards - is it safe?
on Jul 26, 2009 at 5:55:18 pm

I'd do some research but my personal feeling is that SDHC is far more durable and long lasting than DVD. So yes, it's a good idea. Plus it can be recovered very easily via software like:

http://www.datarescue.com/

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 26, 2009 at 7:15:12 pm

I don't think many people think about using SD cards for long term storage, don't know if there is anyone testing that, but I agree with Noah. They have no moving parts, GOOD, don't have to worry about their surfaces getting scratched, GOOD, and they are a lot faster with read/write, GOOD.

One thing to consider, you can get (3) 16 GB cards for less money than (1) 32 GB card.

Return to posts index

Jaanus Henno
on Jul 28, 2009 at 11:24:44 am

Thank you very much.
I guess I go for that. And now there's some really cheap SDHC cards available through ebay, but of course, better get some quality ones.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]