FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD studio pro error message "must replace asset with encoded file"

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan freshman
DVD studio pro error message "must replace asset with encoded file"
on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:27:21 pm

Hello,

So im making a lot of DVDs using DVD studio pro 4.2. I drag my quicktimes and in the authoring goes smoothly overall id say. But very often when I build my DVD my assets will go off line and i will have to replace them with the encoded file which is just usually the m2v conversion of the original quicktime. Is this normal? Should I be worried about anything with this occurence or can anyone explain why this is happening. my build seems to come out fine, its just annoying to an error message throughout the job.

thanks
dan

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD studio pro error message "must replace asset with encoded file"
on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:59:59 pm

Are the original files on a different drive? is that drive an external drive, that is going to sleep?

But it is always recommended that you encode your video to m2v (and audio to ac3) and bring the encoded video in over qt movies.

Return to posts index

dan freshman
on Jul 27, 2009 at 7:23:09 pm

The drives aren't asleep, they are local...So you recommend encoding in compressor or final cut before bringing the files in to DVD studio pro? I have read that the engine on DVDSP is basically the same as compressor, but with less options. I have come across some compression related problems throughout this process going from Photojpeg to mpeg2. Does anyone recommend a better process?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 27, 2009 at 7:42:11 pm

I never let DVDSP do my encoding. It will never be better, most of the time it will not be as good but the main reason is workflow and audio should almost always be ac3, which encoding within cannot do.

The only time I would ever bring in QT files is for menus that will be made within DVD, adding shapes, text or buttons (not highlight areas with overlay file) all require encoding or re-encoding. But then again I almost always build my menus outside of DVDSP. For me DVDSP is strictly for authoring, assets are prepared before bringing them in. Once again this is mostly a workflow issue for me but it is tried and true and it will never cause a loss in quality. Nobody is saying it must be done this way, but here are the reason why it should.

Your problem is solved by doing it this way. But why are you having that problem, that is a tricky one to solve without the system in front of someone.

Return to posts index

dan freshman
on Jul 27, 2009 at 10:43:24 pm

we re-encoded in compressor and their was improvement in quality. So the basic idea is video bit-rate data is sacrificed for audio compression in DVDSP? Any idea what DVDSP compresses audio w/? There are no audio options in the encoding preferences window.

dan

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 28, 2009 at 4:38:48 am

DVDSP doesn't compress the audio, PCM uncompressed audio is 1.54 Mbps vs .192 Mbps that you get with ac3. No hollywood DVD uses uncompressed audio, the only place I would even consider using UC is for a live concert DVD and only if the audio is professionally mastered.

Return to posts index

dan freshman
on Jul 30, 2009 at 6:42:02 pm

Thanks for the help Michael. It has been useful. Sometimes however there is degredation that is worse when we use compressor and AC3 audio. The audio is fine, but there is definite loss in video quality. We have the same settings in compressor as in DVDSP but with of course, the audio compression added and seemingly more bit rate space for video. Any ideas where loss of quality would be entering the picture?

dan

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 30, 2009 at 7:03:24 pm

Compressor is just a settings manager, it doesn't do the compressing. Why is this happening, no telling, especially since I don't know ALL the settings and can't see the results. In the end both are encoded by the same engine.

Sorry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]