FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deliverables for authoring Enhanced DVD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glasgow Phillips
Deliverables for authoring Enhanced DVD?
on Jul 24, 2009 at 6:36:24 am

Hey Smart Cows:

First-time poster...what a great resource. My project is 16 x 9 HD media (Apple Pro Res 1920 x 1080) that contains a great deal of text; it's a reading aid for kids. I was not happy with the text quality after converting it to SD and burning to DVD with Toast -- there was some aliasing -- so I am having it run through an Inferno to take care of the aliasing. Have also gone to tape and then to DVD, but I like the look of the Inferno-ed media the best.

Here is the question: what is the normal delivery format of media that is going to be made into Enhanced DVDs (by which I mean DVDs that play full-screen on 16 x 9 televisions and letterboxed on CRT televisions)? Haven't received a spec sheet from the publisher, and want to be ahead of the curve.

Can I hand over 720 x 486 SD Quicktimes? Or does it have to be 640 x 480 MPEG-2s that display 16 x 9...or what? Any counsel you can provide would be fantastic. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Deliverables for authoring Enhanced DVD?
on Jul 24, 2009 at 10:08:44 pm

not sure what you are asking for.

Final video that is in a DVD (NTSC) is always 720x480 m2v video (you can do mpeg1 but never recommended unless you don't care at all about quality)

16:9 is still 720x480 with a aspect ratio of 1.2 vs .9 for 4:3.

For better downconversion you can use Compressor and turn on Frame Controls (get ready to wait for long encoding times) or you can do a downconvert via a high quality video card, I use AJA Kona 3. HD footage is downconverted on a MacPro with Kona3 to a MBP with the AJA Io, this is of course done is RT since it is a playback, captured codec is ProRes 720x486, then I use Compressor to make the m2v, compressor will just crop off the 6 extra lines. This way the downconvert is top quality and encoding is much faster.

Oh, "enhanced" is the wrong term, it is simply a DVD with 16:9 video on them, DVDs can have either or both aspect ratios on them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]