FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD subtitle review process

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chet Wesley
DVD subtitle review process
on Jul 19, 2009 at 4:50:19 am

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for me on a good process to deal with a project I am working on.

I have a DVD authoring project with subtitles in six languages.
I have generated subtitle text scripts based on the translations and brought them into Encore, which we are using for DVD authoring.

What I need to do is get these videos in a digital format for our translators to review, to make sure the subtitles are correct, timed correctly, have enough time to read, etc...

Sending DVDs around is not a good option because the people doing the translations are all over the world, so I need to put them in a format that can be downloaded. We need to be able to turn them around fast as well so they can review corrections, and the cost of sending things internationally quickly is prohibitive.

Here is what I have tried so far:

1. Export Flash from encore - problem: doesn't support subtitles.
2. Burn a DVD and then rip the files with subtitle tracks on using handbrake - problem: handbrake rips with the subtitles, but the timing of them is off (they come up at the right time, but disappear before they are supposed to).
3. Screen capture of playing DVD: problem - can't find a screen cap program (for osx) that will keep up with full motion in real time and capture sound.

Does anyone know of any other solutions or better software than those I have listed (running OSX mac intel)? Let me know if you know of a good DVD ripper program with subtitle support (free preferably, but I am open to other solutions if it actually works).

Likewise for a screen cap utility.

Thanks for any input.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD subtitle review process
on Jul 19, 2009 at 5:47:55 am

The way that I would do it is record the DVD with subtitles on to your Mac. QuickTime Pro can even capture/encode to H264 in real time.

So you need a DVD player hooked up to a capture device, anything from a DV camera/Analog to FW convertor or capture card that accepts analog. And QT Pro. You can use your editing software also but the you would have to encode to a downloadable format. The QT live record is not the best but it is fast and it is cheap. If you want to do the capture to editing system there a several H264 encoders on the market (there is a cow podcast on one of them) that would speed encoding up big time.

Return to posts index

Chet Wesley
on Jul 19, 2009 at 5:51:13 am

That is a good suggestion. I have final cut as well, I could just do a "capture now" in final cut and then process the files overnight to a web download format.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 19, 2009 at 5:56:39 am

yeap that would work fine, but give QT Pro recording a try, if the size of files are small enough and quality is acceptable it is one stop shopping. it will be the same as a capture now. Of course you may not want H264.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]