FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strobing on DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erin Gallagher
Strobing on DVD
on Jul 17, 2009 at 6:47:08 pm

Okay people, I'm at my wits end here. I am two weeks overdue in delivering this project, working 15 hour days and literally crying because there doesn't seem to be a solution in site. First, here are my specs:

MacBook Pro - Mac OS X - 2.5 GHz Intel Core Duo - 4GB Ram - Avid Media Composer 3.1.1 - Compressor 3.0.5 - DVD Studio Pro 4.2.1

The project was shot in 24P and it's 4:3. The problem is that when I play the DVD it is strobed when movement/motion effects/pans occur. At first I thought the problem was in field dominance but I have burned 4 different discs with different settings and nothing is working. Here is my workflow:

Exporting a totally uncompressed (same as source) .mov file from Avid onto my desktop. On the bottom box "Display Aspect Ratio" I have tried selecting both "Native Dimensions" and "4:3 square pixel." Honestly, I have no clue what the difference is.

The properties of the resulting file are: 640x480, Codec is DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, Integer (Big Endian). This, I assume, is the default.

I open Compressor and bring in the .mov file. These are the attributes listed for said file:

Encoded Bounds: 720x480 (EH?!)

Display Bounds: 640x480

Field Dominance: The default is "Bottom first" but I have the choice to change it. Should I change it to "Top first" or "Progressive"? (I've tried both, to no avail. Still strobed on the DVD)

Frame Rate: 23.976

I drag the "DVD Best Quality" setting onto the .mov file. The m2v file settings are: NTSC, 23.98, 4:3, 720x480 (why does it keep saying 720x480 when it should be 640x480? I think it has to do with non and non-square pixels but I'm not sure), Field Dominance Progressive

When I first saw FIELD DOMINANCE PROGRESSIVE I thought "woohoo! now I just have to change the field dominance from "bottom first" to "progressive" and I'll be fine!" Nope. That didn't work either.

I select "submit" and when the compression is done I bring both files into my DVD Studio Pro project.

There are my preference settings in DVD Studio Pro: SD DVD, NTSC, 4:3, Non Drop, Field Order: Auto (Should I be choosing top or bottom instead?)

After I import both files into DVD Studio Pro, here are the attributes listed for the m2v file: MPEG-2, 720x480, 29.97 Non-Drop, 4:3

I click and drag both files into my Track and click on it. Here are the attributes listed in the General tab: 720x480i (i? interlaced? color me confused. Why in the hell would it say i when everything is set to progressive?, 4:3

I burn the disc, it burns fine.

Like I said previously, I have tried burning 4 different DVD's with different settings and nothing has worked.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Erin

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Strobing on DVD
on Jul 17, 2009 at 7:36:27 pm

I'm 99.9% sure this is a field order problem. You need to find out where the order got messed up.

First question, how are you monitoring your edit in AVID? are you looking at the footage on a TV/Monitor?

Yes said the footage is 24P, was it shoot 24pA and captured as true 23.98p frames? Is your sequence matching your footage?

There are several things that contradict each other in your post.
ie - "Exporting a totally uncompressed (same as source) .mov file" vs.
"The properties of the resulting file are: 640x480, Codec is DV/DVCPRO - NTSC"

If you are editing with SD DV the footage is 720x480, and 4:3 video is not square the aspect is .9

Return to posts index

Erin Gallagher
on Jul 17, 2009 at 8:51:28 pm

Okay, so I guess I am being moderated right now but it's not fair. I really need help on this. I'm not a spammer, I just need help! Please!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 18, 2009 at 12:36:39 am

Have you checked your video throughout the process?
Can you answer my questions?

Not sure why you think you are being monitored. did your post get deleted?

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Jul 18, 2009 at 9:25:36 pm

Seems her profile has been deleted as well, poor thing. That's pretty aggressive :-

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 19, 2009 at 1:35:58 am

very odd to say the lest.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]