FORUMS: list search recent posts

Disappearing Menu

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sky Spooner
Disappearing Menu
on Jul 8, 2009 at 9:55:20 pm

Disappearing menu

I'm working on a PPC G5 Mac using DVD Studio Pro 4. It's a 6 Gb DVD authoring so I created a DVDR 9 master to send to the plant. I sent to the plant and they are telling me the CHECK DISCs they made from the master have this strange problem: the menu disappears! The master however does not have this problem. The master plays fine

Can someone please explain why the check discs are having this problem and the master is not??

They are telling me it's an authoring issue but I have no idea what it could be.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Disappearing Menu
on Jul 8, 2009 at 10:58:13 pm

Are they saying that the menus play for a bit and then just go away? Did they request a DVD-DL for the master? I never send these. For DVD-9s I always send a set of DLT. I would ask them about what they prefer, DLT, Hard drive, disc (one for each layer) or DVD-DL. Did they send you a check disc?

But this is a strange problem and I don't see how this can happen. Are they saying that your DVD-DL plays fine? or are you saying that it DID play fine before you sent it? Is the problem on all the menus? how many menus?

I'm just throwing out things, I as lost as you are.

Return to posts index

Sky Spooner
on Jul 9, 2009 at 4:35:06 pm

This is all they said so far.

1) The menu 'disappears' on the check discs. It shows up on the master
but we have made three stampers and three check discs and the same problems
each time. Our mastering group checked with an outside software company who
said that this sounds like an authoring issue but unless they looked at it,
they couldn't confirm that. If we sent it to them it would cost money to
investigate further.

And they say they take DVD DLs all the time. I know two DVD 5s would be better. I've never done that though. How do you do that?

I could just lower the bit rate to 4.1 -- and put on one DVD 5 -- I'm a little worried to do that since this film is from an academy award winning director. Do you think 4.1 is too low?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 9, 2009 at 9:32:49 pm

This is really strange, I don't see how menus can be shortened. But without knowing exactly what the problem is, how the replicated check disc differs from the DVD_DL you are flying blind. Mastering a different way may not fit the problem, unless the problem is in the plants ability to make the stamp from the DVD-DL which they are saying they have no problem.

One problem that people face is that there may be 3 companies involved , you, the authoring house, the replication, which may only be a broker, and the actual replicator. There is nothing wrong with going through a broker, and most people are doing so without realizing it. It just makes it hard to get to the bottom of the issue.

Doing to a bitrate, especially if you are using Compressor to encode and if this a well produced title is really low. There is no reason that you should not get a working DVD-9 out of DVDSP. I have authored hundreds of DVD-9 titles.

I always use DLTs (not saying this is the only method or the best method, just my method) so I don't want to give you info on something I don't do. Using 2 DVD-Rs to master has been posted on the forum (here or in the DVDSP one) so do a search, you may have to go back a while.

If you want you can send me just your DVDSP project file and I can look at the authoring of the disc to see if there is anything that jumps out at me. The assets are not included with this file and I don't need them to look at what you have done. The file does need to be compressed (zipped) before sending via email. If you want me to look at it, email me at onthecow (at) michaelangelodv (dot) com.

Return to posts index

Frank Wylie
on Jul 14, 2009 at 1:15:09 pm

I have the same problem.

I authored a really simple Blu-ray DVD image in Encore, with a Single Menu page and two buttons; "Start in Black" and "Start at Countdown".

The menu is the Blank NTSC menu with two "drive in" buttons from the Library and generic text on the black background.

I burn the Blu-ray image to a folder and mount the .iso as a disk and it plays back just fine.

I then take and burn this image to a blank media and upon playback, the menu is solid black with only the active selection highlight glow actually showing on the screen.

Weird.

Frank Wylie

"The camera is a base instrument; you must do violence to it..." Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]