FORUMS: list search recent posts

finalizing for DVD...

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
charlie Wu
finalizing for DVD...
on Jul 7, 2009 at 12:46:05 am

This is a question regarding work flow...
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post. Since the final output is to DVD, I guess this might count.

After some basic compositing with graphics and text in AE or Motion i need to bring the footage back to final cut pro to cut in with the rest of the movie which was shot on DV. After finalization the timeline will be output to DV tape as master and compressed into mpeg2 for DVD authoring. The problem is once the whole movie is rendered as DV, the text and effect look horrible. when encoded with mpeg 2 for viewing on TV is ok; however the master that the client is going to archive still look bad when play back from computer. I am sure there are many ways to do this, but so far i haven't figured out a way to do this efficiently.

any advise?

I've tried to create a timeline with animation setting, but rendering the whole movie took forever and the size became not manageable.
I am thinking if up convert the footage while capturing into apple intermediate codec and then working in AIC format, but would that be a problem when output to DV tape? or time consuming?

Please Help!

Thanks~

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: finalizing for DVD...
on Jul 7, 2009 at 3:56:56 am

DV is horrible for graphics, if you go to that codec not much you can do. You can edit your footage, export video edit without graphics to Uncompressed or ProRes, add graphics (exported to match new codec.) this will give you better graphics. But as soon as you go to DV tape you are back to square one. You would want to go to DigiBeta or at least DVCPro50 (staying is SD)

Return to posts index

charlie Wu
on Jul 8, 2009 at 3:01:18 am

Thanks for the input. say if I finalize everything in DVCpro50 and then make high bit rate mpeg2 with that and burn the program onto discs. would the discs be a better idea then DV tapes for clients archive? it's very unlikely that they will re-edit again. but in the case they want to they can rip the discs as DV to do simple works.

What i'm trying to do is to get rid of the footage from my drives and to keep the cost low since getting into other tape formats will require me to rent decks.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 8, 2009 at 4:28:13 am

m2v is even more compressed than DV. and it is not an editing codec so they would have to rip it from the DVD if they wanted to do anything with it down the road. More quality loss.

If a client is paying a DV rate then just stay in DV.

Return to posts index

charlie Wu
on Jul 8, 2009 at 8:52:39 pm

true...

Thanks~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]