FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blue Ray Data DVD's

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bernardo alvarez
Blue Ray Data DVD's
on Jul 1, 2009 at 1:38:07 am

Hi Creatives,

In this new "tapeless" world, we find all our media and projects on shared storage, and stand alone hard drives. and we have a special need to back up lots of media, AE projects, FCP projects, and elements, as data, in case of drive failure, on to a relatively fast, inexpensive storage device. we sometimes back up to dual layer DVD's, works well, and if taken care of can last decades, but just not fast enough, and we end up having to break projects in half in order to fit them. I have heard of blue ray disc burners, and 50gigs of data ?!? that would be huge for us. do they work on macs ? stand alone ? or do they have to be installed inside the G5 ? is it something that can be swapped around to other G5's ? does it require special software like toast ? any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks !!

Bernardo

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Blue Ray Data DVD's
on Jul 1, 2009 at 7:22:04 pm

Sure everything you asked is indeed possible but I think Blu-ray is just ok as long term storage. As a disc medium they're exactly as vulnerable to scratches and breakage as DVDs which is to say moderate. If you really want a true long term storage data solution I would strongly recommend LTO tape drives instead.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

bernardo alvarez
on Jul 1, 2009 at 7:33:20 pm

thanks noah, i think we we have weighed all our options, and ave decided that if we could fit 50 gigs on to a blue ray disc for long term storage, thats the perfect solution for us. we do 30 second tv spots...so projects CAN be big, but usually never exceed 50 gigs. So my question is which blue ray data disc drive works for our G5 workflow ? what brand ? odes it have to be internal ? or is it external ? SATA or firewire ? what software do i need to purchase to use it ?

thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 1, 2009 at 8:02:44 pm

Call these guys and ask:

http://www.videoguys.com/VideoguysSpecials/Specials.aspx?sb=5

-Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jul 2, 2009 at 12:28:40 am

Personally, I think Blu Ray is the wrong choice for long term storage. I'd go with Noah's advice!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 2, 2009 at 5:03:24 pm

Yeah I see this as quick access. Anyone who's relying on discs- DVD, CD or Blu-ray for reliable long term storage is in for a surprise down the road.

Noah

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jul 7, 2009 at 1:01:52 pm

If your backup needs are modest then blu-ray is an attractive choice. Disks are cheap, as is the drive. LTO is more reliable but drives aren't cheap. And, accessing one file from an entire LTO is not as easy as it is from Blu-ray.

Blu-ray is not quite as delicate as people make it out to be. It has a pretty tough coating. To find out how tough, make a blu-ray disk and then place it in your bag without a cover. Carry it around for a few days with keys, loose change in the same pocket. Then take it out, wash it with soap and running water and run it. You'll be surprised.

Blu-ray will also one day become obsolete but when that happens you will need to migrate your entire blu-ray disk collection to the new medium whatever it is. Maybe it will be solid state, maybe larger disks like 100 Gb or even 1 Tb per disk.

One more thing. dual layer blu-ray disks hoild 50 Gb all right but they write slow. One dual layer takes more time than 2 single layer disks done separately.

Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com

FCP Editor, Mumbai, India.
Completely PAL.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]