FORUMS: list search recent posts

Major Amtren Flexwriter II problems

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
Kent Rich
Major Amtren Flexwriter II problems
on Jun 29, 2009 at 5:11:54 pm

I have a Amtren Flexwriter II duplicator that is giving me no end of trouble. It is supposed to be a disc publisher, burn and print, and I can't get the thing to print at all; either as a stand-alone job, or in a burn/print job. I've uninstalled and installed the drivers several times but no help.

I've left several voice mails for tech support, and opened up two tickets with them since January of this year. The last ticket has 5 unanswered updates from me. Basically, their tech support is unresponsive.

Has anyone else had any dealings with Amtren? Can anyone give me advise as to how to address my problems with them? I would send it back to the manufacturer, but they ARE the manufacturer.

Please help!!

Kent Rich

Return to posts index

Gene Warman
Re: Major Amtren Flexwriter II problems
on Jul 22, 2009 at 9:29:48 pm

Amtren is gone. Their phone is now disconnected. Before that is was set to ring busy 24/7.

We have two of their units. They are still in possession of one system we returned three months ago for service. The other has failed.

For a time their attorney was helpful. He will now no longer assist customers.

The question is how we should all band together and proceed to seek return of our property. More important we need to find a qualified service facility willing to handle what will be a major amount of ongoing work.

For a skillful technician, this is a potential grteat business opportunity.

I hope other unfortunate customers will post their thoughts.

Return to posts index

Kent Rich
on Jul 23, 2009 at 8:57:38 pm

I actually went to Discmakers. They were able to repair my printer section. Of course, I bought a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty with the unit, of which I"m in the first six months of it. Discmakers wouldn't honor that, but instead of a $2,300 paperweight, for $350 I have a publisher unit that I can use; for now. My email address is kentrich@graniteriverstudios.com. I would love to keep in touch with other burned individuals.

Return to posts index

Todd Hudson
on Jul 29, 2009 at 5:33:12 pm

I talked to Amtren 3 months ago about ordering a new pick arm. They were going to call me back with the price and I never heard from them and now I have left many messages. Disc Makers wants around 295.00 for a bench fee and an additional 150.00 for a box since I don't have the original box that it came in. I am now just hunting for units to get parts from so I can keep mine going. Do you know of anyone wanting to sell their Amtren or Discmaker Flex Writer or Elite Series Duplicators?

Thanks,

Todd Hudson
Visioneering Media

Return to posts index

Clyde Elliott
on Jul 30, 2010 at 7:32:36 pm

Todd,

I've got one I'd like to sell. I'm not using it.

Elite 2
Model #1002-20-0000-773E2-626A7

clyde.elliott48@gmail.com

I'm in Seattle. Let me know.

Thanks,

Clyde

Return to posts index

Robert Burch
on Aug 14, 2011 at 5:16:29 pm

You said that you hace a flexwriter unit Elite Pro 2. Do you still have and how much do you need for it. Bob

Return to posts index

Dean Rogers
on Aug 14, 2009 at 3:43:17 pm

I have two of their units and have been a customer since 2005.
What is the unit "doing"?
Are you saving the print file as a .prn?

Drop me a note and I'll try to help you in any way I can.

FTR: I have filed with the BBB and the Alabama Attorney General against Amtren. I returned a printer-under warranty- to be fixed over 2.5 months ago. Since then, I have gotten 2 emails from them saying the printer would ship that week.
The first was the second week of June, the other was last week.
If I didn't have 2 of their units here, I'd be out of business. Right now, if the other one goes TU, I'm screwed.

Return to posts index

john staple
on Oct 23, 2009 at 9:00:36 pm

I am having issues too...

The unit is in good cosmetic condition, it boots up fine, all the lights turn on.

When I run the diagnostics it will give me a "Top Sensor Error", however after I have the pin on the top side of the sensor stuck down with a tiny bit of masking tape, the diagnostics give the top sensor a pass.

The rest of the diagnostics will run fine, the printer will open, and the arm pivots back to the blank cd's to pick one up and it will stall. It then gives me a float sensor failure.

And that is as far as I can go...

Return to posts index

Dean Rogers
on Oct 23, 2009 at 9:43:38 pm

I talked with Kirk back in August.
He had some story about trying to sell the company and "black out period" blah, blah, blah.
He promised to return a printer to me the next week.

Another 2.5 months have gone by and nothing. He had a person manning the help desk but, that is gone now. He's changed his email address so that bounces. His Click to Call is disabled. The last time I was able to get through on it, the message said the mailbox was full.

I have filled with the Alabama Attorney General, (like that will go somewhere fast) and the BBB, (fat lots of good that does too).

My next option is to file with the local police for theft. He has my property and refuses to return it to me. Since it's over 500.00 they may take it.

Small Claims court is useless. Even if you win, you have to collect-the court does nothing for you. Class action will do little but drain our accounts.

I have his address and home phone number. I might take a ride to Montgomery and knock on the door. It's only an hour from me.

Return to posts index

marlon kelly
on Nov 27, 2009 at 11:46:57 pm

i have a flexwriter micro and printer. that has giving me nothing but problems for ages. i have gotten ahold of people at amtren a few times and they promised to replace it for me. months and months go buy with no contact. 2k plus paperweight for now. there must be somthing that can be done about these crooks

Return to posts index

Rob Osborn
on Mar 14, 2010 at 5:48:08 pm

I have 2 Amtren units and like them however I am having problems and need them fixed and Kirk is a liar and does not live up to his word.

I sent a printer in last August for my SE-4 and haven't been able to hear a word since.

I am making a trip to Montgomery next week and intend to try and see the liar face-to-face...and get my printer. If anyone knows where Kirk lives send the address to me and I will give him your regards.

What a same, a very good unit and unreliable service and a liar for a President of the company.

Return to posts index

Dean Rogers
on Mar 16, 2010 at 11:34:53 am

His last listing home address is
8319 March Pointe Dr.
Montgomery AL 36117.
His home phone number was, 334-396-0018.

I returned a printer last June to him for warranty repair.
I have not seen it since.
I've filed complaint with the BBB and the Alabama Attorney General.
The BBB is now spamming me to become a registered member and is just a reporting agency.
The Alabama AG office has the complaint but lacks any power to issue a Cease and Desist Order against him. They are worthless as well.

I've called, written, and done just about anything I can to get a resolution to this situation. I've contacted my local police department and they refuse to pursue Theft by Conversion charges because it's across State lines.
Engaging a lawyer will only sink money into this hole and Kirk knows this. He knows that people are after him and he continues to sell his product only to never support it.
Let me know when you might be going on a tour and I might be able to join you. I live about an hour or so from the shop where he used to operate.

Return to posts index

Dean Rogers
on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:33:28 pm

Well, Kirk's home phone is disconnected or changed to an unlisted number.
I've tracked down his wife and have sent an email to her work account. I'll let you guys know what, (if anything) comes from this.

Kirk built a great business that could've taken the market in this type of equipment. My feeling is, he let his marginal success go to his head and he got sued by one of his former employees. That led him down a path that has him in the situation that he faces today.

He's tried to sell the company but, that has fallen through, I know, twice.

Return to posts index

Trevor Bono
on Mar 26, 2010 at 11:50:37 am

Please contact me I can help trevorb@medianeering.com . My company repairs other manufacturer's equipment.

Return to posts index

Mike McCloskey
on Nov 24, 2010 at 5:00:45 pm

I have run into the same issue...each time the pick arm moves from the feeder side to the Drive side, it moves down about about 1/4 inch, therefore the sensor breaks contact with the felt pad...Im in the process of reinstalling the software to see if that helps...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Todd Hudson
on Nov 24, 2010 at 5:46:42 pm

Reinstalling software wont help. The gear that is used to lift and lower the arm may be some what loose. So when the arm rotates it allows the head to drop. I finally pulled mine unit apart and found this problem. I felt comfortable doing this but you have to be careful of not damaging prox switches.

Todd Hudson
Visioneering Media

Return to posts index

Mike McCloskey
on Nov 24, 2010 at 6:09:29 pm

That would come loose after only about 1200 DVD's? Sheesh...can you explain what you did and I can give it a try?

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Mike

Return to posts index

Todd Hudson
on Nov 24, 2010 at 6:22:24 pm

you have to dissemble the unit, it's not that easy to do. I have a mechanical background and didn't hesitate taking the unit apart Mostly since it wasn't working correctly). There are to gears attached to the shaft that raises and lowers the head. You might be able to check it by seeing if there is play in the pick up head. you shouldn't be able to move it left or right very far. If you can the gear may be slipping.

Have a great Thanksgiving

Todd Hudson
Visioneering Media

Return to posts index

Ned Butler
on Nov 25, 2010 at 7:06:12 pm

Do you know by chance what type of CD/DVD drives I can use as replacements in my Flexwriter? Any help appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dean Rogers
on Nov 25, 2010 at 7:51:06 pm

Kurt used Plextor drives.

Return to posts index

Robert Burch
on Aug 14, 2011 at 5:19:53 pm

Plextor drives are always used for this aplication. Bob

Return to posts index

Cat Devnull
on Feb 4, 2013 at 7:30:42 pm

I'm in need of the Flexwriter software/drivers - does anyone still have an installer?

Return to posts index

Kent Rich
on Feb 4, 2013 at 7:35:11 pm

Contact me at kentrich@graniteriverstudios.com and I will send you what I'm using. It's a rather large file, so I'll need to use YouSendIt or Dropbox to get it to you.

Return to posts index

Cat Devnull
on Feb 4, 2013 at 9:06:07 pm

Thanks - I'd appreciate whatever files you have. I downloaded an installer from here: http://www.discmakers.com/techsupport/EliteSoftware.asp

The robotics are working, but Disc Printer Utilities is showing "no compatible printers found". I've uninstalled and resinstalled Flexware - no dice. I have solid green and orange lights on the printer so we're good there.

Is there a separate printer driver installer?

Return to posts index

Kent Rich
on Feb 4, 2013 at 9:24:05 pm

I'm including both the 1.25 and 1.30 drivers. Maybe the 1.30 drivers have all you'll need, but I'm including the others just in case. They're quite large, so it's taking a little while to upload.

Return to posts index

Cat Devnull
on Feb 4, 2013 at 9:28:04 pm

I'm on Win 7 - is that why the printer driver isn't working?

Return to posts index

Cat Devnull
on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:29:55 pm

I eventually had to install this on an XP machine. 30 discs burned/printed with only one "failure". Thanks again for the help.

Return to posts index

Kent Rich
on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:45:08 pm

You're most welcome Adria. I'm glad I could help you out, if I did at all.

All the best,

Kent

Return to posts index

Stephen Woolf
on Sep 23, 2013 at 2:40:44 am

I have what is left of a flexwriter not even sure what model it is, does 100 discs the single drive is on the side where the printer SAT yes I sent it in for repairs and never got it back willing to sell the burner and robo arm side real cheap I am in canada so I will take into consideration the cost of shipping any takers drop me a line..
woolf.stephen@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Joshua Jackson
on Mar 4, 2015 at 2:34:46 pm

Hello...
I figure it would be better to resurrect an old thread (with subscribers) than start a new one.

I, as well, have a FlexWriter that is having problems.
Interestingly enough, I've never had an issue with the printer.
Actually, I've been using the printer (stand-alone) for years.
The robotics started acting up, so I just boxed it (after many support attempts) and used a manual duplicator.

Well, I thought I would try to get it working.
I pulled everything out and reassembled it.
What is happening is that the gripper randomly drops the disc.
It could happen when it's getting a new disc from the input pile, taking the disc to the drive, or taking the disc to the printer.
I haven't, successfully, made it through the diagnostics.
I thought the 6-pin phone cord (arm cable) might be the issue, but wiggling it doesn't cause the gripper to activate.

Any ideas?
I'd like to use it (obviously, that's why I bought it).
It's not really worth paying for shipping, if someone wanted to buy it for parts.
Hehehe...
JJ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]