FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding 1 pass CBR

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Aronowitz
Encoding 1 pass CBR
on May 31, 2009 at 3:42:22 pm

I got a disc rejected from the replication company. I have searched and read all the post regarding VBR vs. CBR. I have decided to go with CBR. This is the 2nd disc in a 2 disc set. I do not need each element to be the same resolution. But - my question is, in order to ensure that the disc passes/will replicate okay, do I need to have the CBR rates for all elements uniform, or could one track be, lets say 6.0 CBR, while another track 5.0 CBR, and if that 's the case, and all other elements are correct, should this be able to play relatively failure free?

thanks,

Keith

p.s. I would like all the tracks to be at a reasonably hi-rate, but I have over 100 minutes of footage, of the rate was uniform, it comes out to something like 4.5 mps.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Encoding 1 pass CBR
on May 31, 2009 at 8:47:43 pm

CBR or VBR won't matter for the rejection from the replicator as long as they are under the bitrate ceiling of 9.8/video; 10.08 video/audio.

What was the reason they gave?

Return to posts index

Keith Aronowitz
on May 31, 2009 at 9:34:59 pm

I haven't gotten the reason yet (tomorrow), I was just trying to be pre-emptive and make a (somewhat) educated guess. The original disk had 1 or 2 tracks that were 2 pass VBR, with the rest being single pass VBR. The bitrate was 7.7 maximum and 5.9 average. I forgot to turn lossless linking off in the version I sent (as suggested by some on this forum), which I will on this version, so I'm hoping that was possibly ther problem as well. On my end everything plays fine, the menus work. We'll see. This version, 1 file is 5.8 CBR, with the rest being 5.0 CBR.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on May 31, 2009 at 10:06:00 pm

You bitrates sound fine. You might want to re-check them anyway to make sure you're below that ceiling. Try one of these:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsearch=bitrate+viewer&Submit=Search&conv...

Which authoring tool are you using? How did you submit for replication? You need to hear back from the replicator before you can do anything else.

EDIT:

Oh...I see the lossless linking comment...obviously you're using DVDSP. Did you submit DDP images for replication? Do not give a burned DVD as a replication master! You can write out DDP images by choosing HDD as your ouput then choose DDP 2.0.

Return to posts index

Keith Aronowitz
on May 31, 2009 at 11:51:35 pm

Thanks! Will do.

Return to posts index

Keith Aronowitz
on Jun 1, 2009 at 11:38:53 am

Thanks again Eric,
I will give that a shot. (DDP)

Keith

Return to posts index

Keith Aronowitz
on Jun 1, 2009 at 12:16:37 pm

When using DDp 2.0, what about audio, do you have to include that file separately? (as I see there is nothing i the audio TS folder.

thanks,

Keith

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 1, 2009 at 4:27:08 pm

Everything is contained in those files

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 1, 2009 at 4:41:12 pm

Note of explanation

Audio TS is always empty. DVD spec had an Audio-DVD standard that never took off, that required a player to be Audio-DVD compatible, very few were.

Even though this folder is always empty, it always needs to be there. There is no negative to having it there but some older players will not play if the folder is not there. So never delete it.

One of the scratch your head type of things, but it is confusing.

Return to posts index

Keith Aronowitz
on Jun 1, 2009 at 5:46:10 pm

Thanks Michael,
I was wondering what that was all about. Anyway, I left it in.

Keith

Return to posts index

Keith Aronowitz
on Jun 1, 2009 at 5:52:51 pm

Out of curiosity,
I noticed that besides the video/audio TS folders, there was other media as well, and that in total, it was more than the sum of what was on the dvd, about 7 gigs in total, so I had to put in on a 8.5 gig disc. Is this normal/standard?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 1, 2009 at 5:49:05 pm

There should be no MEDIA folder on the final disc.

Only Video TS (this this all the DVD needs) Audio TS (empty)
if you add DVD-ROM material this would be included.

If you are encoding within DVDSP it makes other folders/files of the assets but that does not go on the final disc.

Return to posts index

Keith Aronowitz
on Jun 1, 2009 at 8:58:01 pm

Thanks Michael,
sorry, I 'm being a little dense here, but I just want to confirm, there are 4 folders that were created with the export: Audio TS, Video TS, Layer 0, and Layer 1 (layer 1 & 0 also having media). In order to replicate a glass master, the replication house only needs to use the Audio & Video TS folders? And I'm assuming if I tell them not to just make a direct copy, they would already know this, i.e., how to construct the dvd from those 2 folders.

thanks again,

Keith

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 2, 2009 at 2:12:28 am

Only give the replicator your Layer 0 and Layer 1 files - these are your DDP images used to create your glass master. Best to deliver on HDD but you can give them burned discs too - check with them.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 5, 2009 at 10:05:34 pm

Is your project a DVD-9 or a DVD-5? What does your Meter within DVDSP say?

Return to posts index

Keith Aronowitz
on Jun 5, 2009 at 10:17:07 pm

DVD-5. (about 4.3 gigs total) Just curious when you output to DDS2.0 as a 1 layer DVD5 do you only get one layer folder (being layer 0) That's what happened when I output as a dvd5. Thanks.

Keith

p.s. They said my standard burned dvd5 passed inspection.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 5, 2009 at 10:30:32 pm

I thought you were talking about doing a DVD5, why did you have 2 layer folders as posted above, I wanted to make sure you didn't accidentally click on the dual layer button in the disc inspector.

Glad you have a good master.

Return to posts index

Keith Aronowitz
on Jun 6, 2009 at 4:27:49 am

The reason I originally thought I had to do a double layer (I have double layer dvds, not dual layer) is because I thought you had to put all the folders on the dvd (i.e. Video TS, Audio TS, Layer 0 and Layer 1), which added up to more than 4.7 gigs. Then I was led to believe that you only need to put the O & 1 layer level on and not the video and audio ts folders. I was just asking for clarification for the future if you do a dvd-5 do you only get one layer - layer 0, because that is what's coming up when I output to DDL2.0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]