FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD color problem in multi-system

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Bishai
DVD color problem in multi-system
on May 18, 2009 at 3:43:11 pm

Hello,

I am having trouble playing a DVD in international multi-system players.

I have a 106 minute feature that was shot on HDCAM at 23.98fps. The final master was output to a Quicktime file in DVCPRO HD 1080i. That file was brought into Compressor and converted to MPEG 2 16:9 at 4.1mbps average bitrate. This was brought into DVDSP 3 and a disc was burned from which copies were made...

So, the resultant NTSC disc looks fine and plays well on a variety of NTSC players and screens. However, while overseas in South Africa, which is a PAL country, the DVD was played on a multi-system and didn't look right. The overall color was extremely green. Motion and resolution were fine but the color was terribly wrong. I tried playing NTSC discs of Hollywood movies on the same systems and they looked absolutely fine, so there didn't seem to be any problem with the players.

What is causing this? We now have to send screeners all over the world for distribution purposes and I'm worried that the discs won't look right.

Is it possible that the international multi-system/PAL players are having a hard time reading 23.98 burned out of DVDSP? Should I convert the source material to 29.97 and then encode to MPEG 2?

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD color problem in multi-system
on May 18, 2009 at 6:10:29 pm

[Peter Bishai] "Should I convert the source material to 29.97 and then encode to MPEG 2? " I would not, I would say that 99% of Hollywood DVDs are 23.98.

Have was your program color corrected? The player maybe enhancing green that is at a higher level in your video vs. the hollywood titles, which are professionally color corrected. Also did you try more than one player?

If you are concerned about this you have to set up a QC process that has PAL players and TVs.

Return to posts index

Peter Bishai
on May 18, 2009 at 6:48:11 pm

Michael -- thanks for the response

Yes, it has been professionally color corrected on an Avid Nitris. The HDCAM master is gorgeous and the DVCPro HD Quicktime file looks great too.

If the overseas players are enhancing the greens that are inherent in the program then I suspect that it might be because of the artifacts in the Mpeg 2 which look slightly greenish when really zoomed in for close inspection. Still seems kind of odd though because the disc looks normal on an NTSC system.

Do you think it is a good idea to convert the HD file to SD before encoding it in Mpeg 2? Would this reduce the number of compression artifacts in the final product (and therefore the green issue if that is indeed what is happening overseas)?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Roman Melekh
on May 18, 2009 at 10:13:49 pm

plus, on your HDCAM you have full range colors - from 0 to 255 (RGB), but MPEG2-DVD must be 16..235 (RGB)

Return to posts index

Keith Troester
on May 22, 2009 at 7:02:12 pm

Also, it may partially be due to the different color spaces (601 vs. 709)--SD versions of HD footage can look green due to differences (relatively less green in 709, more red and blue--chroma noise often occurs as magenta, or in that area of the spectrum).

http://www.keithtroester.com
PHOTOS | VIDEOS | SOUND | ETC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]