FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to convert an authored NTSC DVD to PAL?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Khashyar Darvich
Best way to convert an authored NTSC DVD to PAL?
on May 11, 2009 at 8:42:18 am

Hi Everyone,

We have an already authored NTSC DVD (both in a hard drive and DLT tape format).

We are needing to also send the finished DVD to Europe and other PAL territories.

What would be the easiest way to convert an already authored NTSC DVD (with menus, content, etc, to PAL).

Is there a way to do an NTSC to PAL DLT tape conversion?

Or, does the entire DVD need to be re-authored, but in PAL?

By the way, the project was authored in Scenarist.

Thank you very much for your help and feedback.

Khashyar

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
Re: Best way to convert an authored NTSC DVD to PAL?
on May 11, 2009 at 10:24:30 am

Hi Everyone,

Just from looking a bit deeper into Creative Cow posts, it looks like we may have to re-build the Scenarist project in PAL.

The motion menus where built in After Effects. Does anyone know if it is easy to convert After Effects motion menus to PAL?

I have not spoken with the person who will be converting the AE menus, but I'm trying to understand it myself first.

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback about the best way to convert the motion menus and other DVD elements into a PAL Scenarist DVD project.

Khashyar

Return to posts index

Roman Melekh
on May 12, 2009 at 9:32:05 am

Re-render menus - this is simple....

question is "how you can transcode your video"
do you have 23.976 + pulldown or "original" 29.97 fps video?

and - YES, you must re-author all from A to Z :)
you can copy pre-post-cell commands from NTSC scenario to PAL

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
on May 12, 2009 at 4:10:57 pm

We do dual format projects all the time. We'll typically author NTSC, export the script out of Scenarist, hack the script to make it into PAL and import it into a new PAL project. One you have your PAL scenario, just relink to the PAL assets. This way there's no need to reauthor and re-QC the programming.

Max
--
Blu-ray producer
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

Roman Melekh
on May 12, 2009 at 5:28:22 pm

...hack the script to make it into PAL....

and how to hack 29.97fps video and subtitles? )))

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
on May 12, 2009 at 5:47:06 pm

You can't. Gotta reencode the video and resize the subs. That's what I meant by saying "relink to new assets".

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
on May 12, 2009 at 7:22:29 pm

Thank you both, Max and Roman, for your advice and thoughts about how to create a PAL Scenarist project from an NTSC version.

Since the motion menus and video transitions were created in After Effects in 30 fps video, what is the easiest to convert those AE menu clips to PAL? Does AE have a fps conversion option? Should our DVD author use compressor? Or, will we need to convert the menu video files to PAL in the same way as our video feature and special features? (I know that the menu buttons will have to be replaced).

Also, since the video clips for the NTSC Scenarist project were already digitized to Quciktime files, is there an easy way to convert them all to PAL? Is there software that can do this, or should I take the clips to a lab like Lightening Media in Los Angeles for the conversion. The most time-consuming way would be to reassemble the clips on a timeline, export them to tape, and have the lab convert the entire tape to PAL, and then redigitize each clip individually in the new PAL format, but that seems like the long way of doing this. Thank you for any suggestions for converting the QT project clips.

Thank you for all of your thoughts and advice,

Khashyar

Return to posts index

Roman Melekh
on May 12, 2009 at 8:45:35 pm

IMHO you can just set composition option to PAL@25, and re-render menus to PAL

Video....you have 23.976+pulldown or native 29.97fps ?

If you have 23.976fps videos, you can speed-up your video and audio without "Lightening Media in Los Angeles"...I know how to do this "hack" on PC/Windows - try to use Canopus ProCoder or Carbon Coder.

Audio - any audio editor, you must to apply "time stretch" filter and speed up to 25 fps (multiply speed to 1.042709)

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
on May 13, 2009 at 7:12:40 pm

Hi Roman,

Thanks for your feedback.

Our NTSC is 29.97fps, so I think that we'll have to ask a lab to do a hardware NTSC-PAL conversion of the actual footage.

Khashyar

Return to posts index

Roman Melekh
on May 16, 2009 at 11:47:06 am

..or you can try "GV Edius" (PC) or Canopus ProCOder (PC) to transcode your video

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
on May 12, 2009 at 7:38:04 pm

Hello again,

I just received a message from our DVD author, and he said that he received a recommendation that he could use "visualhub" to convert the menus to PAL.

Has anyone heard of how effective visualhub is?

Thank you,

Khashyar

Return to posts index

Roman Melekh
on May 12, 2009 at 8:47:34 pm

...a recommendation...
ufff....the best way is re-render in AE, but not convert "from-to"

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
on May 13, 2009 at 12:02:43 pm

ProCoder will do a good job transcoding from NTSC to PAL if you're in a crunch.

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
on May 13, 2009 at 7:19:18 pm

Thank you both, Roman and Max, for your thoughts and advice about this.

I will ask our DVD Author to rerender the Menus to PAL in After Effects.

He hasn't worked on a PAL DVD project before (although he's done several NTSC DVD projects on his Scenarist system).

Thanks again,

Khashyar

Return to posts index

Brian Caswell
on May 14, 2009 at 11:08:23 am

I apologise straightaway for my ignorance on this subject, but I am curious to know why transfer from NTSC DVD to PAL DVD is necessary.

As I understand it PAL DVD's do not play in America, but NTSC DVD's play in America and they also play here in Europe.

I would appreciate some information on this.

Brian Caswell.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on May 15, 2009 at 9:58:10 am

I was going to say that if you already have an NTSC disc, virtually every player in the world with play these. No need to go to PAL. I was in a store in London once and saw close to 50 titles that were NTSC.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on May 16, 2009 at 8:45:07 am

Another vote for 'no need at all to go PAL'.
My last international project was done in NTSC only, while i'm in Pal land, just for the better compatibility.
Do not think that using desktop tools for transcoding will make 29.97 video better looking.
If it was 23.976 or 24 you could speed up to 25, and have a better image, but NTSC interlaced to Pal is very difficult.
There are magic recepies how to do it with Compressor, but in practice, this only works for very short pieces. You get crashes, render time will kill you (think 40 times RT at least) and you need a lot of trial and error to get it right.

If it's not up to you to decide if a pal version is needed or not, and you have a budget, go out to a facility that has a Snell & Wilcox hardware box and let them do the conversion.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

Roman Melekh
on May 16, 2009 at 11:22:34 am

"lot of trial and error" - this is MAC+Compressor ?

I think PC + Procoder = Snell&Wilcox :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]