FORUMS: list search recent posts

about DVD media and Burner...

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
charlie Wu
about DVD media and Burner...
on May 9, 2009 at 11:16:23 pm

Dear All,

I am trying to determine weather if what i've experienced was a drive issue or an media issue.
Being authoring DVDs for the past two years went through two lacie external Dvd burners and Two sony.
Since Verbatim was the only option for DL disc at the time, i still use them for all projects.
All drives going through the same stage, first they worked fine, then the finished discs became less compatible, then, if burning with Toast, started failing the verfication (but successful with dvdsp), at the end drive burns with error all the time. I hope i'm not over generalizing here.
Somehow the sony drives lasted longer. however my new sony is starting to burn discs that are less compatible, meaning doesn't play on all of my clients machines; my old sony lasted longer.
what's the lifespan of a burner? like 100 8.5 GB discs? is there a way to check if the drive is dying? Yes, they are cheap nowadays, but i don't think we should be buying burners like expandables or should we?

also in the following thread:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/55/859742#859742
Noah mentioned verbatim being not the most reliable, could it be that the disc becomes less reliable as the burner gets older???

Many times DVDSP will burn successfully, but the disc is actually faulty. is there a way to verify a disc after burn without burning thru toast?

Please help, i don't know if i should go get another burner. the last one was purchased late last year...

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]