FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burned DVD stutters and skips on certain DVD players. Why?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Granado
Burned DVD stutters and skips on certain DVD players. Why?
on May 1, 2009 at 1:37:28 am

My homemade DVDs work just about perfectly on one of my DVD players but on the other one it always skips about 5 or 6 times for about a second or two during a movie and always in the same spot. i can rewind the dvd and it will still skip or stutter in the same place.

i've noticed at other people's houses that the same DVD will skip on some dvd players and some it won't. while it doesn't ruin the movie, if it skips during a crucial piece of dialogue or during an action sequence it sours the movie watching experience.

Real(retail) DVDs just about never skip on any DVD player. Why do my homemade ones skip sometimes on some DVD players but not on others? why don't retail DVDs skip like my burned DVDs? is there a way to solve this problem or is that "just the way it goes"?

P.S. my DVDs are clean and brand new and i use Nero and generally burn at 8x or less.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Burned DVD stutters and skips on certain DVD players. Why?
on May 1, 2009 at 3:42:24 am

[Michael Granado] "P.S. my DVDs are clean and brand new and i use Nero and generally burn at 8x or less. "

Usually errors will be burned to the disc on speeds in excess of 4x. My Plextor drive supports 16x, and with high quality 16x discs, the discs skip when burned at 8x and above.

It could also be the type of media you are using. If a slower speed doesn't work, it is likely the type of disc you are using. Try Sony, Taiyo Yuden, or Verbatim.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on May 1, 2009 at 5:30:13 am

Bitrate is even more critical! What was your settings? Did you use AC3 audio?

Return to posts index

Michael Granado
on May 1, 2009 at 7:32:43 am

so are you all saying that i should not be experiencing these "hiccups" when i watch the video? i would like to be clear on this. have any of you ever experienced this when watching your own burned movies?

and how do i know my bitrate? i just use the program "convertxtodvd" to convert my video file to dvd VOB files and then i burn the disc with nero using the dvd-video file option. and yes i have(and will) burn at 4x yet i still remember those slight blips during playback.

so it may be the speed but also might be the discs? currently i am using philips dvd-r discs, single layer. should i switch to verbatim? if i do this and still experience these errors might it be that i have a problem with the dvd recorder? thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on May 1, 2009 at 2:33:44 pm

You should never experience hiccups on burned dvd's. It's possible your burner could be causing it, but unlikely. Your discs might be ok, it could be the program you are using to make the vob files. Try using a free program called HCEncoder. Learn how to use it (not too hard), and your results will be extremely professional. Keep your bitrate under 7.0 - 7.5 mbps. Due to burnable media's lower reflectivity, you can't have quite as high of a bitrate as pressed discs (store bought movies).

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

John Kert
on May 4, 2009 at 5:26:43 am

I have had similar problems. My theory is that if you have a weak (or dirty) laser in your BURNER it will burn shallow holes. When you play it in a newer player with a strong laser, it will play it, but an older players with weak laser it will skip.
So, make sure that BURNER is NEWER and may be burn it at a lower speed.
JK

Return to posts index

Gary Shollenberger
on Feb 29, 2012 at 12:54:26 am

I have years of experience with burned CDs and DVDs. I've kept a database to track the variables involved like: Disc brand, disc format, burner used, burn speed, and software used. I've followed all of the recommendations for burning discs by using only Verbatim or TY discs, burning at 4x speeds, and using the best burners on the market. Despite all of this, my burned discs will eventually skip on my home players. So I've come to this conclusion:
Home-made (burned) discs are made differently from professionally made (stamped) discs. As a result, burned discs are less reflective, and require more strength and precision from the player's laser. Over time (usually 2-3 years from my experience), the player's laser loses enough power or accuracy to begin skipping when playing burned discs. Stamped discs will still read accurately because they are much easier for the player to read. My recommendation... try playing the skipping disc on a new player. If it plays accurately, the problem is your old player and probably not the disc itself. I replace DVD players every 3 years or so to avoid this problem, but when I loan burned discs out, I often hear that they skip on other people's players. I haven't found much information on this subject, but I do have a lot of experience with this issue, and I think this is what's causing the problems you described. I'm looking for confirmation of my hypothesis from professionals, but have yet to receive confirmation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]