FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie Authoring Event 3day Footage

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Praveen Rp
Newbie Authoring Event 3day Footage
on Apr 25, 2009 at 11:55:46 pm

Im working on my first project coming up for a small college graduation, clients wants me to record 3 events. I'll be using GL2's

1st Event roughly 2 hours
2nd Event is 2hours
3Event 2.5
Close to 7hours total of footage

With my limited knowledge of bitrates and compression, is it feasible to create a quality dvd for packaging & selling with all 3 events on 1 disc?

I just have a MacBook Pro with FCP Studio, I think compressing all that would just eat my machine time for days.

Should I just edit down each event separately then go to a duplication studio and have them master it?

Comments & Suggestions greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
eric pautsch
Re: Newbie Authoring Event 3day Footage
on Apr 26, 2009 at 2:36:56 am

The most I ever got onto a dual layer disc with reasonable quality was 5 hours - and this was with an encoder which cost thousands of dollars and a extremely clean source. This will have to be a 2 disc set for sure.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Michael Sacci
on Apr 26, 2009 at 4:55:41 am

I would go to a 3 disc set if you are duplicating these. (3) DVD-Rs are cheaper than (1) DVD+R DL, The case may balance out the cost but it will seem like more of a value, quality will be better. Remember even 2-2.5 hours on a disc is pushing quality, footage from GL2 tends to be grainy.

Remember a DVD DL is not equal to (2) DVD-Rs, it is less. 8.5GB vs 9.4GB. Edit anything you can out of these, most things can be tightened up quite a bit.

Here is the break down on Bitrates if you use ac3 audio.

3.8 Mbps - 270 minutes on a DVD-9
4.3 Mbps - 240 minutes on a DVD-9

4.8 Mbps - 120 minutes on a DVD-5
3.8 Mbps - 150 minutes on a DVD-5

tough to get a very clean encode with compressor at 3.8 Mbps unless you are work with perfectly exposed Dbeta, and even at that it is pushing it.

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Apr 27, 2009 at 2:45:50 pm

I agree with Michael. Go with a 3-disc "box set." This will keep your video at a higher quality and add perceived value to the people buying it. You may be able to charge more since there are 3 discs instead of "just one."

If you need duplication for your project when you are done, feel free to email me and I can give you a quote.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]