FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good quality DVDs for burning?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Quattrini
Good quality DVDs for burning?
on Apr 14, 2009 at 4:56:24 am

I am looking for a good success rate DVD with a fairly cheap price. I got some Memorex -R'`s last day after thanksgiving for pretty cheap and they seem OK. I am looking to buy about 200. Anyone know a good brand to hunt out for best universal success?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Good quality DVDs for burning?
on Apr 14, 2009 at 7:21:55 pm

If you go with the cheapest you will probably reduce success also. But even the top brands are not that much more expensive if you are buying on spindles.

I myself only buy Maxell Plus series they are $.40/disc. I these are also 8x so there force DVDSP to write slower which is what I want.
http://www.tapeonline.com/DVD-R/Maxell_DVD-RPW_-_8X_White_Inkjet_Printable_...

Other top brands work fine for others but I have almost zero problems so I stay with what works for me.

But I also author disc to be more compatible, bitrate never goes over 7Mbps for video and audio is always ac3 are the most important things stay with.

Return to posts index

Sam Faul
on Aug 10, 2009 at 9:43:01 pm

I have had goo luck with imation.

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Apr 15, 2009 at 9:46:48 pm

Taiyo Yuden is the best I have found. Second place is Verbatim.

Last place goes to Memorex.

Dave

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Apr 16, 2009 at 3:03:07 pm

I agree with Dave. I use more than 4,000 DVD-R's per month for the duplication side of my business, and they are all Taiyo-Yuden. We burn at 8x and have less than a 1% error rate with them.

We use the A-Grade White Thermal Hub Printable, so they are a bit more expensive that some of their other options.

There is a newer brand made by Falcon which we have tested and they are also quite good. We buy ours from The Tape Company or Media Distributors. For smaller quantities, you might try SuperMediaStore.

Hope that helps.
Matt

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 16, 2009 at 4:07:23 pm

WOW, that is a lot of disc, I'm strictly authoring so no duplication like that. Not sure if I have made 4000 disc in my 10 years of authoring.

But I think the important thing is the top brands AND correct authoring practices can produce extremely high compatibility and play rates. Paying a little less to get sub par DVD-Rs gets eaten up with one FedEx shipment to replace a bad proof or master.

I would add TDK and Sony to the brands to stay away from.

Return to posts index

Dan Hinton
on May 25, 2009 at 7:42:39 pm

We probably get through around 2000 Sonys a month - haven't had one die on me yet. Either the Sonys or TYs will see you right.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]