FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windows Dvd From FCP

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Jackson
Windows Dvd From FCP
on Apr 13, 2009 at 1:05:11 pm

Hello...
I'm wondering if there is a windows dvd authoring program that will import a final cut pro session (for lack of the appropriate term). There are motion files in the session, too.
I know that it could be exported as a .mov or something, but I'm trying to figure out a way to save that step/time.
JJ

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Windows Dvd From FCP
on Apr 13, 2009 at 5:57:02 pm

No idea what you mean by "session"? If you mean the FCP program, not even DVDSP can do that.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Apr 13, 2009 at 6:36:39 pm

I think he wants to know if there is a Windows authoring program that imports FCP project files so that he doesn't have to render it out... and the answer to that is not really.

You might be able to import your FCP project into Premiere CS4, then using dynamic link, bring that into Adobe Encore without the need to render. Also, you probably won't be able to import the motion file thats in your FCP project into premiere. That might have to be rendered.

I have not tested this out, but in theory it should work. I would recommend just exporting it on the mac using Quicktime Animation codec or DNxHD codec (requires free download).

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 13, 2009 at 6:53:34 pm

Seems to me that is a lot of work for no added gain (or very little at best).

Return to posts index

Joshua Jackson
on Apr 14, 2009 at 12:10:33 am

Yes, a project is what I was referring to as a session.
I wasn't aware that premiere could open a final cut project. I don't mind doing the rendering. I was just trying to figure out a way that our mac guy doesn't have to do more work. I like the idea of cross-platform collaboration.
Would this work...
Motion files into After Effects
FCP project into Premiere
Merge the two in Premiere
Export (link, render, or however it wants to work) into encore
Personally, I prefer Avid Xpress to to Premiere, but I would use it, if that's what works
JJ

Return to posts index

Joshua Jackson
on Apr 14, 2009 at 12:21:05 am

BTW...
I found this in adobe's premiere cs4 manual.
JJ
Note: You can not import native Final Cut Pro project files, only XML files exported from Final Cut Pro. Also, you can not export Final Cut Pro XML files from Adobe Premiere Pro.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 14, 2009 at 2:37:47 am

Unless you need to do more editing before authoring, I have no idea why you would want to do this. If your video is complete in FCP just export a movie Self Contained, to a drive that can be read on the PC where you can encode and author with Encore.

Return to posts index

Joshua Jackson
on Apr 14, 2009 at 4:46:15 am

I understand that exporting from fcp would be a much more effecient, in the long run, way of doing it. I'm just trying to see what options are available so that those macs and people don't have to spend the time to do it.
I guess I could purchase a mac and software, connect it to that network, and do the export myself.
JJ

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 14, 2009 at 7:27:40 pm

[Joshua Jackson] "I'm just trying to see what options are available so that those macs and people don't have to spend the time to do it. "

But my thinking is you are going to create more work and take more time for the people you are trying to off load the work from.

If your only concern is to take the encoding and authoring away from the FCP systems then the quickest thing to do is for them to export Self Contained movies of the timelines. Take those movies to the PC, encode and author away.

Return to posts index

Joshua Jackson
on Apr 15, 2009 at 3:44:05 am

I'm not sure how them not doing anything is creating more work for them. The more work would be them having to export the timeline.
It would be more work for me. I'll agree with that. I just don't think that exporting 100 hours worth of timelines is going to happen. That would be the best way to do it, certainly. If that's the only option, though, the project will probably just go by the wayside.
JJ

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Apr 15, 2009 at 3:48:27 pm

You usually have to factor in exporting time into your workflow. If the project is created in FCP, and you want to author it on a PC, plan on exporting it, otherwise author it on the mac.

This is another bonus of using all Adobe applications, is that they work well in a cross platform environment (with the exception of Encore project files). If it had been edited in Premiere either on a PC or Mac, you could easily use dynamic link to avoid any intermediate export files.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]