FORUMS: list search recent posts

client cannot play dvd i burned in dvd studio pro

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen sarsfield
client cannot play dvd i burned in dvd studio pro
on Apr 8, 2009 at 8:15:31 pm

Help!

i burned a dvd-r verbatim stock, on dvd studio pro and my client cannot play it at home.

apparently verbatim is compatible with 99% of players, should i try another stock? could this be the problem?

anybody have this happen? solution? thanks!

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: client cannot play dvd i burned in dvd studio pro
on Apr 8, 2009 at 9:34:12 pm

There are some players that just don't play any burned discs, period. I have one of the first dvd players ever released in the US, and it has this problem.

However, if their player supports burned media, and its just your disc it won't read, you could try some methods to improve your compatibility. First of all, you could try burning at a slower speed. If you are burning a single layer, you could try 4x. For dual layer, you never want to burn faster than 2.4x.

If this doesn't help, you could always try a different brand of disc, such as Taiyo Yuden.

And the last thing you could try, is burning it on a DVD+R with the Booktype set to DVD-ROM. This creates a disc that is more compatible than DVD-R, but requires that your burner supports it (most of them do). To change the booktype, your burning software needs to support it, or you can download a program that will make all your applications change the booktype when burning DVD+R discs. If you just burn regular DVD+R without changing the booktype, it is less compatible than DVD-R. Booktype can only be changed on DVD+R discs.

All the dvds that we burn for clients are on DVD+R discs with the modified booktype. This creates the most compatible type of burned disc possible.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 8, 2009 at 11:46:16 pm

One thing that is cropping up a lot lately is people making HD DVD by mistake. Are your disc playing on any set top player?

Define "Cannot Play" This can mean playback issues or player not reading the disc at all.

Are you burning within DVDSP or another program.

To things that increase playability is to do a Build and Format verse a Burn. And always uncheck that lossless link box in the format screen.

Return to posts index

Stephen Long
on Apr 9, 2009 at 5:09:47 am

I have been having the same problem -
I fear the problem here may stem from mixed formats. I have HD footage and SD footage...

When I author a disk in DVDSP I am prompted to make an HD disk.

It plays fine on any I mac, but not on the old E mac, not on psp2 and not, apparently, anywhere else.

The PS2 prompts me to insert a psp2 formated disk, and my E mac doesn't even recognize that there is a disk present.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 9, 2009 at 6:44:27 pm

As I stated, if you make your disc a HD DVD is will not play on anything but Intel Macs or the fastest of G5 towers. You can downconvert HD material to SD m2v and you will be jsut fine with a SD DVD.

Once again HD DVD are for new Mac playback only! They will playback on discontinued HD DVD players if they had firmware updates done to them. This is a DEAD format, do not use it, if you are giving disc to others.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]