FORUMS: list search recent posts

professional dvd

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alfred leslie
professional dvd
on Mar 24, 2009 at 4:39:45 pm

Friends:

A foundation has requested and will pay for a "professional" dvd of a feature I made in 2001. In the past I sent a dvd-r I made myself from my original FCP file or one I made from an HD up-conversion made by one of the film festivals who showed the work.

But recently I made a new version of the film (I want to send them that) and with all the new formats I'm not sure what to have made from the NTSC DVCam I would start off with. EG get an HD up- conversion and then use that for the whatever?

Very much appreciate any thoughts here.

All bests
Leslie

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: professional dvd
on Mar 24, 2009 at 5:28:20 pm

Hi Leslie,

Your DVCAM source and DVDs are both 720x480, so I see no benefit from upconverting to HD (then back to NTSC) as these conversions will inevitably add some degradation in the conversions. Keep it at the native size for best results, going direct from DVCAM to MPEG-2 for DVD.

Encoding quality can vary between softwares, and of course encode settings make a difference as well. If you are comfortable with encoding and authoring DVD material with good quality, I see no reason not to create a DVD-R master yourself as before. I've done this on many projects myself for replication.

If the DVD is required to have MacroVision, that means mastering to DLT or providing raw files to duplication house, that's another story then.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

alfred leslie
on Mar 24, 2009 at 8:55:19 pm

Hi Jeff

Many thanks for the help. I hesitate making the dvd myself as every time I open the file . . . whoa! - there seems to be another another and by this time I know the changes are just that - just changes and don't add anything. I'm in the middle of new work so I think I'm going to let the issue settle a little, the foundation's not going anywhere .

Thanks again

Leslie

Return to posts index

MIchael Sacci
on Mar 24, 2009 at 5:52:49 pm

I would not unconverted this to HD, if all you need to do is to make the DVD. Not a good use of money at all.

There are tricks to get better results for a DV master, by doing a going up to a higher color space, 4:2:2 vs 4:1:1 and the doing a couple of tweaks.

If you are sending this out to be authored, I would love the opportunity to quote on it.

my email is onthecow (at) michaelangelodv (dot) com

Return to posts index

alfred leslie
on Mar 24, 2009 at 9:00:19 pm

Hi Michael

Thanks!

As I said to Jeff I think I have to take a break - finish my new stuff and then take this up again.

All bests

Leslie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]