FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bitvice Help needed

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Llewelyn Roderick
Bitvice Help needed
on Mar 19, 2009 at 6:00:01 am

Hi Cows

I want to up my game in the DVD Authoring stakes. I'm focusing on finishing documentaries and indie films and I want to be able to provide my clients with the best possible dvd that they can afford. As it's the indie side of the market I'm not going to jump straight in and by the cinemacraft plug-in. That leaves me with Bitvice.

I've downloaded the latest demo (2.3) and I've been doing comparative tests with compressor. Problem is I'm getting "video bitrate too high" errors in DVD SP when I build my DVD's to compare the encodes. The first encode I did worked but every other test since doesn't. Here's a look at my settings, these two images are the last two encodes I did which DVDSP is rejecting for the above reasons.

You'll see that first I pushed the average bitrate up to 6.5 and the second attempt was using all the default settings in Bitvice except the "intraDC" setting which I upped to 9 from the default 8. (This was a recommendation from this forum.)

Apart from this specific problem, from what I've seen, I can't tell any difference?

I'm encoding a SD 10bit uncompressed image that was shot on EX.

Perhaps someone can give me some settings?

thanks

Llewelyn

Llewelyn @ Fireworks
HD for indies post production
http://www.fireworksfilms.co.za

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Bitvice Help needed
on Mar 19, 2009 at 2:49:45 pm

Are you using AC3 audio? :) uncompressed audio takes alot of bandwidth.

Return to posts index

Llewelyn Roderick
on Mar 20, 2009 at 8:30:18 am

Hi Eric

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps it's a restriction with the Demo, but I can only save audio as AIF?? I'm going to do test right now to see what happens if I try to encode without the audio file! Stand-by.

LL

Llewelyn @ Fireworks

Return to posts index

Llewelyn Roderick
on Mar 20, 2009 at 8:35:35 am

Bingo

Thanks Eric, once I deleted the AIF file from the DVDSP build it encoded just fine!
I see from your posts that you're the Bitvice champion around here. Can you recommend settings or a workflow that will allow me to create the 'superior' rendering capability of Bitvice vs Comressor?

So far I can't see what all the fuss is about.

thanks

LLewelyn

Llewelyn @ Fireworks

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 20, 2009 at 3:32:46 pm

I believe in Bitvice since it one of the few Mac encoders out there - and its a good price. I have yet to try the Cinemacraft plug-in but I''ve used the PC version for years now.

You have bandwidth limits that need to be considered in DVD. 9.8 for video and 10.08 for audio and video. Since all encoder will sometime spike over the limits you set, along with your uncompressed audio (which takes up 1.5 mb/s of space) you certainly went over that limit.

8-9 mb/s is too high. There isn't a DVD compressionist in the world who would tell you to crank up the max bitrate settings to the max. Keep your bitrate settings at a conservative level and always check your bitrates with a bitrate viewer afterwards. Use uncompressed audio but only if you take that 10.8 limit into consideration. Always use a bitrate calculator before you encode.

I dont' use Compressor since its frankly a terrible encoder at lower bitrates. Compare the 2 by doing a short test at VBR 3mb/s with some moderately fast movement in the source. Not that you'll be doing VBR @ 3-4mb/s alot but it shows you how much better Bitvice can be a lower bitrates. If a client comes to you and insists they need 4 hours on a DL disc, you can now tell them - "OK...I can do that" :)

Return to posts index

Llewelyn Roderick
on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:23:18 pm

Dear Eric

I've managed to get it to work, but the results are very poor. I'm not seeing what's so great about Bitvice. Any ideas?

Llewelyn @ Fireworks

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 24, 2009 at 4:23:47 am

What were your settings? What format was your source footage?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]