FORUMS: list search recent posts

best DVD duplicator/printer combo to buy??

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason May
best DVD duplicator/printer combo to buy??
on Mar 13, 2009 at 3:33:16 am

Hey, I'm looking to buy a DVD duplicator/inkjet printer combo for the .org I work for. Of course, since we are non-profit, price has got to be low. But I'm not going to buy something with shotty robotics (I've had bad experiences with the Primera brand robotics). Any suggestions? Are these called publishers if they include the inkjet label printer? Any brands that have been proven reliable? I'm primarily worried about reliable robotics.

I am looking at a Microboards GX2-1000, 50 disc capacity, for about $1500. I don't want a Primera brand. Any other solutions that might be lower in cost? $1500 is going to be pushing it for my proposal, but we got to have something. We will likely be making thousands of copies a few times a year. For costs sake, I'm prolly forced to go with a 50 disc machine, but if someone knew of a machine with more capacity for a good price I would be open. Thanks so much!

jasonhonduras.com

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: best DVD duplicator/printer combo to buy??
on Mar 13, 2009 at 5:33:42 am

I haven't really seen any low budget ones in action besides the Primera... but here is a question; If you are going to be making thousands of copies of the same image, won't it be much more cost effective to have the disc replicated (pressed)? Those little duplicators are ideal for copies in the 10 - 200 range. Once you need more than 300 or so, its cheaper to have 1000 of them pressed. In addition to the cost of the duplicator, you also have to factor in the cost of blank media, proprietary ink cartridges, wear-and-tear, etc...

of course, if each one of those thousands of discs needs to be unique, then yes, it might be wise to get a duplicator.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Jason May
on Mar 13, 2009 at 5:40:25 am

Thats a good point, the little duplicators are claiming about 20 cents a copy. Do you know where I could get a quote to 'press' a large amount of discs? Does that just mean to have the label printed on? Thanks!

jasonhonduras.com

Return to posts index

Chris Linke
on Mar 13, 2009 at 1:53:59 pm

What Primera product did you use that gave you such problems? I know the older one that had the rotating arm had a lot of problems, but the Primera BravoPro we've used for the last four years has been a champ.

As for "pressing" discs, that term refers to creating a DVD from a glass master, and screen printing the label onto the disc, just like the movies you buy at the store. And what Jon said is correct: more than 300 and it's more cost-efficient to go with 500 or 1,000 pressed discs. I use a company called TW Media (http://www.twmedia.com/). They're top-quality and extremely reliable.

Chris Linke

PRC Digital Media

http://www.prcdigital.com

Return to posts index

Michael D. Brown
on Mar 13, 2009 at 8:56:25 pm

We have had the GX-2 for about 18 months, and it's a workhorse. Please note the specs recommend a second INTERNAL hard drive (not external), and a short USB connection. Please read the specs carefully and you should be okay. We also use Taiyo Yuden discs exclusively.

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer
American Heart Association

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Mar 18, 2009 at 5:22:58 pm

Not sure about this one, but Microboards has a nasty policy of making you buy their ink, and it ain't cheap...
After my Printfactory (mark 1, that accepted HP cardridges), that was my the reason to abandon Microboards.

My current weapon of choice is an Epson pp-100.
Probably twice as expensive, but it accepts 100 discs at once, has very good robotics and does about 800 discs (full color image) per set of cardidges (it takes 6 different ones, so if you run out one color, you can swap out that one.)
Price per print on just ink really adds up. Cost of ink per disk is about 20 (euro) cents for this printer.
I suspect the Microboards to do about 25 cent per disc, but that's a guess.
Now i don't know if the GX-2 is different from the Printfactory, but that one only checked ink levels before a batch. So if i did a batch of 50 (unattended of course), and the ink ran out after one disk, i was left with 49 bad disks...

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

Nathan Davies
on Feb 2, 2010 at 11:14:10 am

hi Jason,
Here i have a best solution for you.I bought a MICROBOARDS Orbit III Duplicator few month ago.This is a latest outstanding disc duplication products from Microboards Technology.MICROBOARDS Orbit III Duplicator is a automated CD/DVD copier.You can be placed 100 CDs or DVDs into the Orbit 3 at a time.Its completely automatic.I am sure you get more benefit after buying this products or you can visit this site http://www.riverproaudio.co.uk/index.asp.

Return to posts index

Enrique Byrne
on Mar 20, 2012 at 1:44:41 am

Hi there,
looking for DVD duplicator/inkjet printer combo?
do you know Acronova's?
their nimbe sidekick would be a good pick.
it's pretty affordable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]