FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Dude, where's my Blu Ray?"

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Kapell
"Dude, where's my Blu Ray?"
on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:06:40 am

So, I'm having trouble getting good results on my blu ray burns. Here's what I'm doing:
1. Import HD clip from Sony EX-1 card.
2. Prepare clip using Compressor set to mpeg2 3. Import to Encore, set to Blu Ray in appropriate drop downs, check and build on a re-writable disc using an external blu ray burner.

The results are not stellar. Subtle (but noticeable) pixel shifting in large blocks in the blacks. There is pixelation around the edges of the actors, particularly in areas of high contrast (a white shirt against a darker background). Anywhere that there was some grain in the original is magnified after the burn. I tested another clip from an entirely different scene, and it still looked very non-HD. I am expecting too much from my desk-top authoring system? I hope not. My burner is a MATSHITA BS-MLT SW-5833. I've looked for firmware updates but have found nothing (except for one Japanese lanuage web-site). Anyway, I'm thinking it's not a burner issue. I feel like I'm missing something simple, but I'm following all the prescribed methods in this and other forums to the letter.
Thanks,
Jason Kapell
Fairfield University
Media Center

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: "Dude, where's my Blu Ray?"
on Mar 12, 2009 at 3:24:14 pm

What were your bitrate settings? Did Encore transcode the clip? Both Encore and Compressor aren't exactly great encoders so you might be expecting too much :) One things for sure....dont expect quality like discs you see on stores shelves.

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
on Mar 12, 2009 at 3:41:35 pm

HD compression is still pretty tricky business. Even with 50-70K encoding systems, compressionist has to spend several days to tweak the encode after the base pass. There are dozens of settings that affect picture quality, while Encore or similar only gives you access to the bitrate.

Max
--
Blu-ray producer
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

Jason Kapell
on Mar 12, 2009 at 3:43:00 pm

I set it a the default bitrate for Program Stream and no Encore transcoding. Last night, a co-worker tried exporting from Premiere using H.264 blu-ray and the improvement is significant. We usually use FCP and Compressor (bought the Adobe suite just for the Encore).
However, now that Encore suddenly refuses to launch, it's a moot point right now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]