FORUMS: list search recent posts

Screen Capturing for DVD Authoring

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian Young
Screen Capturing for DVD Authoring
on Mar 11, 2009 at 1:18:41 am

I captured a web animation on a screen. My task is to create a DVD from that at 720x480.

The problem is that the animation (screen capture) is not 720x480. The smallest I can capture it is at 1058x724. If I re-size the browser window to capture it any smaller, it will cut off some of the animation.

However, if I capture it as-is, at 1058x724, then re-size the captured video down to 720x480 square pixels, the text gets distorted of course.

If anyone has a solution or more questions to help, I'd appreciate it.

I am using:
FCP 6
AE CS3

SnapzPro
ScreenFlow (as a backup)

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Screen Capturing for DVD Authoring
on Mar 11, 2009 at 1:30:45 am

You do not want to use square pixels you want to use .9 for 4:3 video. You will have to do a little bit of cropping if you want it to be perfect (off top and bottom).

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Mar 11, 2009 at 2:25:30 am

Thank you, Michael. I made that adjustment.

After pulling my hair out all night, I think I've realized what the other part of the problem may be, but I don't have an immediate solution.

The video (captured at 1058x784) can size down to 720x480 and look okay on a TV and perfect on my computer screen.

The text is another story. No matter what I do, the text (sized down to 720x480) suffers on the TV despite looking crisp on my computer screen.

I am assuming that considering the original size of the animation, there are limitations for delivering it as a 720x480 DVD video with the text in tact. The original animation may need to be closer to the output size to maintain the quality of the text.

This however is not what I want to request. I want to just deliver what was requested. Is there any way to do so that anyone can think of without actually seeing the footage?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 11, 2009 at 2:34:45 am

oh yeah, text and tv don't fix well. think about all the text you see on tv, big and bold.

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Mar 11, 2009 at 3:19:44 am

Exactly.

Thanks for your swift replies. I will work with some people to find out what can be done and follow up here.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:20:24 am

Also you'll find that simply showing a screen video full screen isn't going to cut it for a DVD. You'll need to zoom and move in on details with the motion tab in FCP or whatever editing program you have in order to make things like important text more readily legible. Check out the videos on this page to see what I mean:

http://callboxlive.com/store/studio-special-edition-p-41.html

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]