FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD to SD Anamorphic Question

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marni Page
HD to SD Anamorphic Question
on Mar 5, 2009 at 4:23:44 pm

I'm making an SD Anamorphic 16:9 DVD from HDV material and I have a question.

Could someone tell me if the overscan areas will or will not be seen on a widescreen TV using a DVD player that up-res's the image to 1080i?

Then I also want to confirm that when the image appears letterboxed on an SD 4:3 TV that the overscan on the sides remains out of frame while the top and bottom (of course) remain in the picture.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: HD to SD Anamorphic Question
on Mar 5, 2009 at 4:35:27 pm

TVs handle overscaning differently. As a practice there should never be anything in the overscan picture that you don't want viewed while everything that needs to be viewed should fall within action or title safe. I would never rely on overscanning to eliminate poor framing of a shoot.

Most playback on computers play the entire image.

Return to posts index

Marni Page
on Mar 5, 2009 at 4:51:30 pm

Actually, I wanted to shrink my image by about 1% and include as much of the overscan as possible. I know it varies and I run the risk of showing black around the edges if I shrink it too much. But just wanted to see if this was a workable solution because I shot something a bit too tight in HDV, you know what I mean and I need it to breathe just a little bit.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Mar 5, 2009 at 5:28:48 pm

If the DVD Player is connected digitally (with an HDMI cable) then you will see the entire frame. If it is connected with analog cables (Component, S-Video, Composite) then you will lose some of the frame to overscan.

Jon Geddes
Motion Graphics Designer
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]